News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Patch, MG Cap Badges and a Stopwatch

Would appreciate some comments on the following items, please, confirming more precisely what they represent and relative desirability by collectors.

1. A shield-shaped patch that I believe was worn by both British and Canadian "Line of Communication" units during WW2. Not particularly scarce, I suspect.

2. Three general issue cap badges of a WW1 Machine Gun Batallion (per Babin #31-1) as would have been worn by most Empire MG troops in WWI, and certainly Canadian or British. Not sure what is the significance of the silvered one...for officers, or maybe for post-WW1 wear?

3. A 1919-dated, serially-numbered Swiss-made stop-watch for military use, perhaps - given the British "broad arrow" marking. Dont know what the "O.G. Fulda" means - related to Fulda in Germany, or perhaps the maker's name?

Thanks and regards,

John

The red and blue patch is the formation sign for the British Second Army, worn from it's formation in England in 1943 throughout the war and after 1945, with the addition of crossed swords, by at least some formations of the BAOR.

Very rusty on this but I believe it would be worn, as you say, by any troops not wearing the sign of a subordate formation - armour or infantry brigade or division -and perhaps by them as well, below their 'own' patch. (Sorry, can't remember and haven't the books in front of me.)

Peter

The patch was worn during the war by GHQ Troops, 21st Army Group, & after the war by British Troops in France - in what had been the "Rear Maintenance Area" which included the old beachead, depots, various admin HQs & transit camps. After the war although troop numbers rapidly decreased, some of these including admin HQ of RE Movement Control, & grave registration unitts continued to exist.

Forgot - the blue & red shield formed the basis for a variety of post war BAOR insignia by addition of insignia such as swords, tanks, torch of learning etc.

Edited by leigh kitchen