News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dienstaltersliste Fahnenjunkerkurs Döberitz April 1918

Got this off ebay recently. It is a list of all officers who were commanded to the Fahnenjunkerkurs in Döberitz in April 1918. Maybe it is of some research interest.

File5407a.jpg

Edited by webr55

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch::jumping: This is exactly the sort of TEMPORARY posting never shown in ... anything!!!!

Will see about transcribing this and adding first names, birth and death data, and known awards, as an exercise.

:cheers:

Very interesting indeed!

The course commander is Oberst (later char. Generalmajor) Maximilian Freiherr v. Preuschen who was commanding the Kriegsschule at Engers in 1914 and commanded Leibgarde-Infanterie-Regiment (1. Gro?herzogl. Hessisches) Nr. 115 from 31 May 1916 to 21 December 1916. He commanded 3. Niederschlesisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 50 from 10 July 1918 to 21 August 1918 and finally commanded the Truppen?bungsplatz at Munster. Char. Generalmajor on 27.5.20.

Regards

Glenn

:jumping: Thanks! :jumping:

This partially fills a hole I had in the career of

Georg Emil Theodor M?ldner von M?lnheim, the brother of the Aide-de-Camp to the Crownprince. From his obituary I have that he left his 220 Regiment around Christmas 1917, but his next entry was in May 1918. So know I have narrowed that down a bit!! Great info

Edited by David M

Great gem of a find!

I have a German e-friend who actually has an interest (or a dream) of creating, as much as possible, a roster of the WW I German Army. I know that that sounds nuts. I spent a lot of my life building and managing multi-million record data bases, with the computer technology of 25-30 years ago. I sketched out a rough scheme to do this for him, of course centered on volunteer effort by qualified students of the war.

The idea is not (quite) as crazy as it sounds.

Bob Lembke

Great gem of a find!

I have a German e-friend who actually has an interest (or a dream) of creating, as much as possible, a roster of the WW I German Army. I know that that sounds nuts. I spent a lot of my life building and managing multi-million record data bases, with the computer technology of 25-30 years ago. I sketched out a rough scheme to do this for him, of course centered on volunteer effort by qualified students of the war.

The idea is not (quite) as crazy as it sounds.

Bob Lembke

Well I think he is not alone in that and personally feel that there should be more contact on these kind of projects (IMHO mainly via boards like these). So that we are not all doing the same thing in the few 60-80 years we have on this globe. (One of the reasons I choose to do pre 1866 orders and decorations of a country almost forgotten: there is simply nothing on the matter yet)

:rolleyes: Yeah, I know: :off topic:

I still haven't gone out the door, but I want to take a swing, "while the iron is hot". It seems that several of us are working on mini-rosters, or might be interested. Perhaps, before a grand scheme can be organized, if possible, we can come to some agreement on some technical issues so that we do not individually wander up blind alleys that would make later cooperation more difficult.

I am moderately familiar with spread-sheets but not an expert. Eventually a large roster should probably be resident in something known as a "relational data base" (here I am running on my expertise of 15 years ago), but most of us, including me, at present, do not have access to these. I am assuming that data structured in one or more major spreadsheet programs (I personally use Quattro Pro) could eventually be imported into a major relational data base. Some software firms that produce spreadsheet software also have created a relational database, and I assume that they can import data at least from their own spreadsheet software. Also, spreadsheet programs can probably import and convert data from some other spreadsheet systems. My word processor can import and convert documents from, I believe, 46 different word processing programs.

So, perhaps we can confirm this, and then possibly come to some agreement to a spreadsheet format suitable for a roster of German WK I soldiers, officers and OR/EM. A spreadsheet could of course later be manipulated and massaged into a different format, but it might be preferable to start out with some commonality.

Of course, especially with officers, one can easily dream up 30 or 50 possible different variables per individuals, but they could be added later, and of course for any given man one would have a very small sub-set, for example, last name, but no first name, rank as of a given date, unit as of a given date, etc., etc. I have two rosters for units forming; for one I have about 1200 men, for another only say ten, but I could have say 500 for that unit, based on material at hand. Unfortunately, I will want to keep these close to my chest until I publish something I am writing, but in the meanwhile it might be desirable to work with a common format for roster entries. (I have lots of other material/individuals that I would be happy to enter immediately in a publically available data base.)

Does this interest anyone? Should we start a thread on this; this is related to the original topic, but has wandered off a bit?

Bob Lembke

Guest Rick Research

Yes, please start a new thread.

The Grand Plan IS being worked on, but is completely beyond my understanding, with my own micro-focus on individual award rolls. Things are at a very early stage, which is why the Research Gnomes have a fairly good shot at....

maybe 25% of Prussian groups, but hasn't expanded totally beyond that due to sheer scale. The variables are indeed daunting.

Yes, please start a new thread.

The Grand Plan IS being worked on, but is completely beyond my understanding, with my own micro-focus on individual award rolls. Things are at a very early stage, which is why the Research Gnomes have a fairly good shot at....

maybe 25% of Prussian groups, but hasn't expanded totally beyond that due to sheer scale. The variables are indeed daunting.

So there is a GRAND PLAN? Great!

If I start a thread, someone will aim me at the action? Since I worked for years creating, maintaining, and using data-bases with hundreds of thousands or millions of records, while struggling with the computer resources of 25-30 years ago, and additionally know something about this sort of data, I could hopefully be of use.

Will launch a new thread tonight.

Thanks,

Bob Lembke

Guest Rick Research

First page of the D?beritz list, filling in some extra data. If no WW1 awards are noted, they do not appear on any of the rolls done so far.

I've noted the colonial "mX" awards and the campaign medal with which those were earned.

Here are a few more first names for the list:

11- Erich von Widekind

12- Karl von Pentz

13- Adolf von B?low

18- Karl Frhr. von Pechmann

24- Walter Kuhr

28 - G?nther Meinhold ( a future Gen.Maj.)

Andy

#15: Josias von Plüskow, Lt 1. GzF, Oberlt 22.3.10 V8v, Hptm 5.9.14 Ww, Unteroffizierschule Esslingen, Major aD

#17: Weckert, Oberlt 16.6.10 P3p in IR62, Hptm 28.11.14 G14g, KIA 21.8.18 in Sturm-Abteilung 5. Res.-Div.

#22: Freiherr v. Perfall, Lt 20.12.05 in IR 97, Hptm 18.9.15 F3f, Major aD

Edited by webr55