News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello there,

I have a etched bayonet with says 'SS-Ubungslager Dachau'. Is this an original item? Other markings are '5757' ( which can be made out in photo) and the other side - 'S/176K'. The bayonet looks well used with a fair bit of pitting to the blade. If additional pic's are needed please let me know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ben.

Hi Ben,

I agree with Gordon.

Back in the day when I was collecting bayonets I think I was one of the first to be taken in by these fakes.

:banger: Ouch, right in the old pride.

Now I collect medals.....hmmm......and I still get stung from time to time.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Ben,

I first saw bayonets like this is antique shops in London, England about 15 years ago. They were not rusty and were beautifully engraved. Even though I knew they were not authentic, the urge to buy one was hard to overcome. The problem with collecting is that from time-to-time we get taken in by someone who is dishonest. I decided years ago that I had to accept this as "the price of learning". Doesn't make it any easier to swallow though.

Regards,

Gordon

Ben,

I first saw bayonets like this is antique shops in London, England about 15 years ago. They were not rusty and were beautifully engraved. Even though I knew they were not authentic, the urge to buy one was hard to overcome. The problem with collecting is that from time-to-time we get taken in by someone who is dishonest. I decided years ago that I had to accept this as "the price of learning". Doesn't make it any easier to swallow though.

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

Thank you for your reply,

I quite agree, sometimes the only way to learn is the hard way. I've had the bayonet for sometime now and had a sneaky suspicion that something wasn't quite right!! I have some other bit's & Bob's to show which might be of some interest, these I know to be OK. A piece of silver, well to pices actually which join together! The eagle looks very early but unfortunately is missing possibly two other bits - I haven't the faintest idea what it's purpose is, I'll put it up if you think anyone would be interested. My camera isn't particularly good though! Changing the subject a little I have a 'Close Combat Clasp' up here aswell which know one has commented on yet. This one also has been bugging me - any help on that would be very much appreciated. :beer:

Many thanks,

Ben :)

Woton,

I think it would be of interest to post your mystery piece. As for the CCB, I've looked at it but I am not an expert, whatever that is, on them so I did not comment. These days, the copies are just too good. Very difficult to tell the real thing from the bad. Particularly from a picture. If you are a member of the Wehrmacht Awards Forum I would post it there. You will get all kinds of comments on it, and that might not help you much, as there are lots of people there who consider themselves experts. I haven't bought a German WWII badge for years because of the copies. I have a large German uniform collection but I haven't bought anything German, except Forestry uniforms and post war East and West German stuff, for years. Too many fakers out there.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

• 10 months later...

Hi Ben,

I agree with Gordon.

Back in the day when I was collecting bayonets I think I was one of the first to be taken in by these fakes.

:banger: Ouch, right in the old pride.

Now I collect medals.....hmmm......and I still get stung from time to time.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

I read that you collect medals and I would like to get with you to show you quite a few WW1 German medals that I would like to sell. If you are interested, you can contact me and I will send you pics of all of them (around 20) for your assessment and consideration. Thank you.

Lloyd(Scorpitarious)

I read that you collect medals and I would like to get with you to show you quite a few WW1 German medals that I would like to sell. If you are interested, you can contact me and I will send you pics of all of them (around 20) for your assessment and consideration. Thank you.

Lloyd(Scorpitarious)

PM sent.

Cheers

Brian