News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot belt buckle

This is my second attempt at posting this, the last one seems to have been lost somewhere!!

A while ago I bought a buckle believing it to be a 2/24th Warwickshire Reg belt buckle. I have always had doubts if it is original.

I have attached a pic below.

Are there any tell tales signs to indicate if it is a repro or not. I have seen a relic from Isandlwana and it looked slightly different (Mine has ridges across it, the relic didn't appear to) It is old but thats not to say it isn't a Victorian/Edwardian/Georgian repro!!

Anyway, here it is. What do you think?

I'll add more images after posting

Yes, that would be a repro. I fear. The Royal Regiment of Wales sells repors. at L18.00 each - presumably due to the Isandalwhana connection. Sorry :(

Peter

The above is a picture of a repro.

Admittedly it looks very similar, - but wouldn't the regimental museum still use the same dies to make them??

I will clean mine up and see what it looks like, but the alloy used seems different, possibly more copper in mine. I have a friend who is a goldsmith. I'll see what he thinks.

Still clinging onto hope!!

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I'd update this. Peter, you were absolutely right. I emailed the museum who but me in contact with their supplier (Jeremy Tenniswood), http://www.militaria.co.uk/

He did confirm that it was one of his. Disapointed I have sold it as a fake (I'm not interested in anything not original) on ebay for the same price as the museum pieces. I slight loss financially and still flippin annoyed that somebody conned me!! Still lesson learned.

Thanks your your advice, really appreciated!

I thought I'd update this. Peter, you were absolutely right. I emailed the museum who but me in contact with their supplier (Jeremy Tenniswood), http://www.militaria.co.uk/

He did confirm that it was one of his. Disapointed I have sold it as a fake (I'm not interested in anything not original) on ebay for the same price as the museum pieces. I slight loss financially and still flippin annoyed that somebody conned me!! Still lesson learned.

Thanks your your advice, really appreciated!

Nobody likes to get 'taken' ! :( Sorry it proved a bad'un but glad my tuppence worth helped,

Peter

• 7 years later...

Hello to all! I am a fan of the scarlet jacket and Martini Henry era.  I am building a British Impression of the 24th Foot.  My valise has a repro belt buckle, and I have purchased another repro buckle (on purpose).  I have been told the repros are smaller, and both of these are the same.  Does anyone know the circumference of an actual belt buckle?  Thank you!