News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An Alien Grenadier

Guest Rick Research

Yes, ONE of these soldiers is an ...

:unsure:

alien.

Nothing at all written on this one, from the late Tony Colson's collection. They are wearing Feldgrau caps with their old gray pre-war fatigue Litewkas and dark blue tunics (!!!), so ... maybe 1910?

From their cockades, NOT Grenadier Regiment 7 (Prussian). I can't tell the difference, at the size these straps are in the photo, between the cipher for that unit and Saxon Grenadier Regiment 101 or Baden Grenadier Regiment 110. But the photographer's address is from Mannheim, so I'll guess Baden.

Spot the alien?

Guest Rick Research

Don't know what the cord on his shoulder straps conveys, but that's not how I know he's an alien.

Even though it took a magnifying glass to spot. :rolleyes:

No idea how this could possibly have happened!!!!

:catjava:

Rick,

Definitely the Baden 110th. The slang term for the cords on his straps is "Hoffnungsbalken". They indicate that he is Abkommandierte zum Schule. Not sure which Schule, but the dark color could indicate the Lehr-Infanterie-Bataillon, Unteroffizierschule or Unteroffiziervorschule, etc.

Chip