Goodbye Old Man

lazyschnauzer

One of the Great War's best illustrators was Fortunio Matania. Arguably his best work is a study of a dying artillery horse and its' rider/artilleryman saying goodbye. It was published widely and ultimately bought by the British organization for animal protection, the Blue Cross.

I've converted other Great War illustrations into figures and vignettes, but this one may be the most challenging. I'm not going for an exact copy of the illustration, just the general look and feel of it...provoking the same emotional response from the viewer.

Your comments and critique would be appreciated.

Because of the size of the files, it will take several postings to show you the photos.

All the best,

Dan

Edited by lazyschnauzer

• 4 weeks later...

Just completed everything yesterday and waiting for the painter. The scale is 1/16th. The yellow stuff is photomount holding one arm on to the shoulder temporarily and the figure at the right boot to the base. With one hand on each side of the horse's neck it was necessary to make one arm separately.

All the best,

Dan

Edited by lazyschnauzer

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks Lorenzo! This vignette has just been mailed to Rafael Gonzalez Aquayo, a very talented Spanish painter in Madrid. Sure hope the mail is kind to it!!!! This is a one-off, but I'm going to re-do it as a 1/16th scale master for casting for The Old Contemptibles model line.

All the best,

Dan

• 1 month later...

This vignette is now finished and being painted by a very talented figure painter in Madrid - Rafaelaga Aquayo. Yes the cap badge is RFA. Most of the uniform is the 1902 but the trousers are the artillery version, putties with the tie-ups at the top, and a 1915 'Gor Blimey trench cap. Once I get this back painted, I will probably start on a version to be made into a model kit for The Old Contemptibles product line.

All the best,

Dan

Edited by lazyschnauzer

• 5 months later...

This vignette is now finished and being painted by a very talented figure painter in Madrid - Rafaelaga Aquayo. Yes the cap badge is RFA. Most of the uniform is the 1902 but the trousers are the artillery version, putties with the tie-ups at the top, and a 1915 'Gor Blimey trench cap. Once I get this back painted, I will probably start on a version to be made into a model kit for The Old Contemptibles product line.

All the best,

Dan

Can't wait to see it:

Lorenzo

I can't think of any other word than, wonderful.

All the best

Snoopy

Snoopy

you have great work as well are you working on anything new?

Thank you

Lorenzo