News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spanienkreuztr?ger Foto

Jacques

• Replies 56
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A beautiful one, one of my prefered. I think he was awarded the spanish cross in gold. as he wear the "cruz de guerra" he must have participated to a successful action. As he wears the observer badge, I suppose he served to the AS/88.

May be the KM members were not awarded the campaign medal. Panzerpionier could help us .

jacques

First of all, KM personnel that served in Spanish waters received the SK without swords.

On the other hand, according to SK regulations KM personnel that served in Spanish waters and were involved in some actions received the SK with swords:

-Air raid on Ibiza (29th May, 1937)

-Bombardment of Almeria (31st May, 1937).

-Air bombing of Palma.

The mentioned KM personnel was not considered "officially" as combatants by Spanish government, and they did not receive Spanish decorations.

On the other hand, some KM members actually fought in the SCW as members of Nationalist units and therefore were eligible for both SK with swords and Spanish decorations:

-Technicians, instructors and military advisors. One of them (Jurgen Jensen) was killed in the sinking of the Nationalist cruiser "Baleares".

-AS/88 naval personnel, mainly observers. Naval observers were better than those from land-based units for ship recognition.

Hope this help

Best regards

Edited by Panzerpionier

Guest Rick Research

Ah! beer.gif I always thought that any German naval personnel "with swords" got the combatant Spanish campaign medal, while the majority who received "without swords" got the non-front line Spanish campaign medal.

Thanks!

This helps us with German same eagles for army AND navy long service award bars, doesn't it, Jacques? Now we know that those straight winged eagles must be for ARMY personnel!

Ah!  beer.gif  I always thought that any German naval personnel "with swords" got the combatant Spanish campaign medal, while the majority who received "without swords" got the non-front line Spanish campaign medal.

Thanks!

This helps us with German same eagles for army AND navy long service award bars, doesn't it, Jacques? Now we know that those straight winged eagles must be for ARMY personnel!

Please note that I meant that KM personnel that served in Spanish waters and received either SK with or without swords were not entitled for ANY Spanish medal. Of course, some exceptions could happen, i.e. a KM ship rescueing Spanish Nationalist navy shipwrecked sailors and the like... in those cases probably the commander of the KM ship and some officers would receive the Spanish white naval cross.

The KM personnel who served in Nationalist units were a different case and they received Spanish decorations.

On the other hand, I have never seern a German ribbon bar with non-combatant Spanish Campaing medal (green borders).

Best regards

Was it usual for Kriegsmarine flyers to receive Luftwaffe qualification awards and flying clasps?

I had a non spanish grup to a Navy Lt attached as an Observer to a flying unit. They seem to all have been observers.

he had EK2 and one, observer badge and the three clasps. The rank was "Leutnant (M)" with the M for Marine.

At the end of the war he was training for Uboots and in the Bundeswehr he was in the panzer branch.