News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Gentlemen,

I know this is a very open ended question but what is a reasonable price range for a nice condition EK2 with a maker marked ring?

Everything seems to be jumping in value by leaps and bounds. I just am looking for a ballpark price.

Thank you in advance!

Vince

• 2 weeks later...

Vince, I am by no means an expert in this area but I do own a few EKs with out cases, a few with cases and a few with cases and the original carboard cartons. In my opinion an EK that is maker marked and in excellent condition would go for about $150.00 US, the case would add about another $400.00

Regards

Peter

I too find it hard to fathom the jump in prices - It was less than a decade ago when I thought $35 for an EK2 was absurd...

Regradless - the market seems to demand that a maker marked EK2 in good shape (not mint) will run you about $100 for the ones with frosting on the bead probably about $150. Frightfuly they will probably continue to rise in price about $10-20 in price each year.

I too find it hard to fathom the jump in prices - It was less than a decade ago when I thought $35 for an EK2 was absurd...

Regradless - the market seems to demand that a maker marked EK2 in good shape (not mint) will run you about $100 for the ones with frosting on the bead probably about $150. Frightfuly they will probably continue to rise in price about $10-20 in price each year.

Thank you,

Yes, I agree. Hold on to your wallet!

Happy Holidays,

Vince

If you're patient and shop around, you can probably find a decent, marked example for under $100 (which to me is still astronomical).

Scott

I agree, in the UK an average EKII should be worth no more than 60GBP. Prices have sky rocketted, there seems no logical reason for this as there were millions awarded and to be fair they are not rare. Maybe it's a case of supply and demand, as more people become interested in collecting such "Historical" items,?they?then command a "Premuim", particularly from dealers who may well see a fast buck, (Got?my?cynical?hat?on?here).?I?would?suggest?that?you?bide?your?time?and?wait?f

or?a?good?quality?item?to?come?along?at?a?reasonable?price,?it?does?happen.?When?

I?collected?these,?I?paid?2GBP?a?shot!!

regards

Alex K

first car.... $400..... put 40,000 miles on it, sold it for $300...

first gallon of gas.... ~ $0.25

first 1914 cased EK I.... $85 or 90.....

first 1914 EK 2... in MINT condition.... $10

look on the face of the dealer who wants $100

for a 1914 EK 2 "because it has a maker mark

on it" and i tell him he's full o' poop.... PRICELESS!

Alex is quite correct: patience almost always pays off.

but DO pay attention to that piece that causes a little

tingle down your spine. I've regretted on more than

one occasion walking away from something because it

was $50 too much.....

joe

first car.... $400..... put 40,000 miles on it, sold it for $300...

first gallon of gas.... ~ $0.25

OK Joe - that dates you a bit when I recal the conversation with my grandfather who said his fathers first car was $400 and gas was about .20 cents a gallon! It was a conversation we had about the price of gas and the price of vehicles - gas has not kept up, so $3 a gallon is not unreasonable by that rational. But its supply and demand - just like EK's

The market is guided by supply and demand - no doubt about it. I remember when the E-Stand on the WAF was flodded with EK2's 7 years ago - no one thought much of them - average price was about $35-50. Detlev's site even had a going 'buy the EK2 from the bag' - they were not mint, but good condition EKs that you didnt have much to complain about. Got a nice orange ribboned one that way! The EK1's were what everyone wanted and they hovered about $100-150. Eveyone was livid when the Russian horde came out and delaers wanted $300 for them? Think of what people are willing to pay for one of those $1000?

Now the EK2's are at a trickle, still listed for sale here and there, but not like they were so the supply to the open market is down. This is not saying that the global supply is low - all those millions are in collectors hands, family hands or the ground. Also - with the advent of more and more WW2 movies that hit the box office, more and more people seem to want to 'touch the stone' and get a real part of that history. So demand keeps rising. Its an interesting phenomenon. Even looking at the 'Sky Mall' magazines on airplanes you can impulsivly buy 'widows mites' from the time of Christ.

I remember on the WAF years and years ago when there was a thread about the hobby as an investment and the guy took his broker to a show. The broker was apparently dismal about the prospects becasue he only saw old and overweight guys mulling around. His concensious was that the hobby would be dead very soon as there was no 'new blood' at the show. What he failed to look at was the impact of the internet. (this was back in the mid 90's when EBay was just getting going.)

If the rise of price maintains a consistency, then I told my wife the other day 'look at all those EK's - its the kids education right there!' At leas it may pay for a semester...

Edited by hunyadi