News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

I got yesterday on the regular market some pictures. I dont collect pictures but I liked them, so I bought few.

When someone have any ideas about the uniform what those two man a wearing and what period, it would be inetersting to know :jumping: .

I got two interesting pictures from WW2 period as well, so please have a look under TR section :cheers:

02965341192411_l.jpg02965329ccc701_l.jpg

Guest Rick Research

Left is a Sergeant or Vizefeldwebel (can't tell which without a cap or portepee knot showing) on what was probably some sort of Corps staff-- looks like a Roman numeral on his strap, but I cannot read it. Hard to tell era, but I'd think closer to 1900 than 1914 from the style... and haircut!

very nice Bavarian J?ger Gefreiter, quite early in the war, but already decorated with a Bavarian Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with Xs ribbon in his buttonhole. I always think "1914" when I see those corduroy trousers, from dated photos. They didn't hold up well in the field, apparently.

I don't think the soldier with the Bavarian shako is a J?ger. First, the shoulder straps would be piped in dark green, these clearly have a light colored piping. Secondly, a J?ger would most likely not be wearing this pattern of cartridge box (Patronentaschen 87/88). They were normally issued to pioneers and soldiers of the Verkehrstruppen. My guess is that he is from a Telegraph unit. They wore shakos, had swedish cuffs, light colored strap piping (light gray) and would be more likey to be carrying a Lebel than a J?ger. A close-up of the shoulder strap might confirm this.

Chip

I don't think the soldier with the Bavarian shako is a J?ger. First, the shoulder straps would be piped in dark green, these clearly have a light colored piping. Secondly, a J?ger would most likely not be wearing this pattern of cartridge box (Patronentaschen 87/88). They were normally issued to pioneers and soldiers of the Verkehrstruppen. My guess is that he is from a Telegraph unit. They wore shakos, had swedish cuffs, light colored strap piping (light gray) and would be more likey to be carrying a Lebel than a J?ger. A close-up of the shoulder strap might confirm this.

Chip

OK... another give away should be the fact that he has a lebel (and a non fitting butchers bayonet) so as Chip says probably belonging to the Verkehrstruppen.

Luftschiffer, Telegraph would both be possible? Both are units that kinda slip through the cracks and are unnoticed... When I see a Tschako I always think... J?ger!!

When I see a Tschako I always think... J?ger!!

Chris,

You aren't the only one. Any photo for sale from Germany with a Tschako being worn is identified as a J?ger. At least half of them are from the Telegraphentruppen and there are also Flieger, Landsturm and Train troops that are misidentified in this way. :speechless:

Chip

Chris,

You aren't the only one. Any photo for sale from Germany with a Tschako being worn is identified as a J?ger. At least half of them are from the Telegraphentruppen and there are also Flieger, Landsturm and Train troops that are misidentified in this way. :speechless:

Chip

Hi,

I think the Train had spiked helmets? Also, landsturm had very different looking Tschakos.

best

Chris

I think the Train had spiked helmets? Also, landsturm had very different looking Tschakos.

Chris,

In the Prussian army, enlisted Train troops wore the Tschako until 1903, when they adopted the spiked helmet. The 1860 Tschako worn by the Landsturm was not that different than the normal Tschako... same basic shape, just taller.

Chip