News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I would greatly welcome any pre and post Great War information on the naval service of Ernst Hashagen who served on U22 and commanded U62. He was the author of "U Boats" Westward! published in English in 1931. I am aware that he also commanded a U boat training flotilla in WWII and became embroiled in a BBC/Government row when he was asked to participate in a BBC radio broadcast in the 30's. He was also a convinced internationalist after the Great War and sought to create friendly relations between the UK and Germany, but any additional gen would be most helpful. Post WWII activities dob and dod would also be appreciated.

David Filsell

Guest Rick Research

Ernst Hashagen: born 24 August 1885

Imperial navy 1.4.05-24.11.19

F?hnrich zur See on 2.11.07 to date 7.4.06 N2n (on SMS Mecklenburg in 1908)

Leutnant zS 28.9.08 (don't have seniority suffix: on torpedoboat S 176 in 1910)

Oberleutnant zS 5.9.11 Q

Kapit?nleutnant zS 24.4.16 T

Torpedo Officer and Adjutant to March 1915, Watch Officer U 22 to December 1915, SMS Vulkan at the Submarine School to February 1916, Commander of U 21 to December 1916, Commander of U 62 to war's end.

Decorations:

Mecklenburg Griffin Order-Knight before the war. During the war-- Prussian Hohenzollern House Order 3rd Class with Swords 24.11.17 for sinking 130,000 tons of Allied shipping, Iron Crosses 1st and 2nd Classes, Mecklenburg-Schwerin Friedrich Cross 2nd Class.

He was Member # 221 of the Marine Offizier Verband. They are now the Marine Offizier Hilfe e.V. and may have obituary data.

Occupations

1928: Buyer for Carlowitz & Co, Hamburg-- engaged in the China trade

1931: same

1935: "Wirtschaftsgruppe Maschinenbau" is entire entry (job? company?) in Berlin

1937: Director of the Berlin office of Dortmund-Hoerder-H?ttenverein A.G.

1939: Director of the Vienna technical office of the same company, engaged in Eisen- und Stahlerzeugung und Bearbeitung

I have no information on him under May 1939

Rick

Very many thanks for your kind, and extensive reply. I really am most grateful. The information was required for a bibliography and commentary of German books about the Great War upon which I am working. The objective is to provide a brief commentary on the book and, where possible, details of the author and his career. Hashagen was defeating me. The book is, I think, outstanding, well written and deeply considerate of the submariner's role, with none of the cloying nationalism and self justification which so many other German accounts of the war contain. Hashagen is content to let his service "do the talking".For information information there are at least 130 translated works - excluding those by the "great and the good" and they include army, navy, air service and home front accounts. So, many thanks again. If anyone can add post 1939 information it would be a bonus!

Guest Rick Research

Those are always a problem. :banger: "EKK" is probably some sort of refresher training course.

Next on Staff of Commander of Submarines (B.d.U.) January to March 1940, Chief of the 25th Submarine Flotilla April 1940 to December 1941, "2. ULD" is, I think 2nd Submarine Instructional (Lehr) Division XII/41-XI/43.

OKM = Naval High Command, "Skl" is Seekriegsleitung, or directorate for the war at sea, but NO idea what its 3rd section did XII/43-VIII/44. OKW = Wehrmacht High Command, "W.P." is, again I think Wehrmacht Propaganda department, but again not sure what 3rd section did August 1944- March 1945.

I've got pre-war departmental organizations for the OKM and OKW, but the above were created during the war, so what the specific sectiuons did I don't know.

At least this gives you a neat, tidy birth and death date for him. :beer:

Those are always a problem. :banger: "EKK" is probably some sort of refresher training course.

Next on Staff of Commander of Submarines (B.d.U.) January to March 1940, Chief of the 25th Submarine Flotilla April 1940 to December 1941, "2. ULD" is, I think 2nd Submarine Instructional (Lehr) Division XII/41-XI/43.

OKM = Naval High Command, "Skl" is Seekriegsleitung, or directorate for the war at sea, but NO idea what its 3rd section did XII/43-VIII/44. OKW = Wehrmacht High Command, "W.P." is, again I think Wehrmacht Propaganda department, but again not sure what 3rd section did August 1944- March 1945.

I've got pre-war departmental organizations for the OKM and OKW, but the above were created during the war, so what the specific sectiuons did I don't know.

At least this gives you a neat, tidy birth and death date for him. :beer:

E.K.K. = Erprobungskommando f?r Kriegsschiffneubauten ( New warship construction testing staff)

3rd Section of SKL was the Abteilung Nachrichtenauswertung. (Intelligence evaluation section)

Regards

Glenn