News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Recently grabbed from German E-Bay. The photos on the auction were fairly low resolution and indistinct, but enough to be worth a gamble. This is what arrived

The peak, like the chinstrap is, as on many late war military caps, actually imitation leather made from compressed paper. Note the myriad of small age cracks on peak, strap and edge binding - no plastics or postwar man made products here..

Congratulations on your score. You are right about Ebay!! I just picked up a nice Luftwaffe Admin tunic for an even 400 dollars last month! There are lots of great things on there from time to time!

Are there any insignia on your cap?

On the subject of which, - most collectors seem to like to get matching sets of insignia on their KM caps. Reasonable enough, but in reality mixed non matching insignia was very common and in no way suggests that there is anything wrong with a cap. Here are some examples of NCO insignia.

First - Bullion matching set.

Hi Stephen,

Don't like the look of it. The chinstrap is definitely not one of the normal KM types and the edge binding to the peak looks suspiciously like plastic. Note also the bead of black plastic/pvc type material between the sweatband and cap body, typical of postwar caps.

Most likely an early Bundesmarine piece.

The "story" that goes with it might even be true. TThe maker is in Cuxhaven which was a main base port for Minesweepers including in the postwar years ( but no longer). If the guy had been in minesweepers when the war ended he may have continued to serve, as many did, for several years after the war on mine clearing operations under British supervision ( in the GMSA - German Minesweeping Administration) and then on into the Bundesmarine, but the cap itself is, I'm fairly sure, not wartime.

Hi Stephen,

Don't like the look of it. The chinstrap is definitely not one of the normal KM types and the edge binding to the peak looks suspiciously like plastic. Note also the bead of black plastic/pvc type material between the sweatband and cap body, typical of postwar caps.

Most likely an early Bundesmarine piece.

The "story" that goes with it might even be true. TThe maker is in Cuxhaven which was a main base port for Minesweepers including in the postwar years ( but no longer). If the guy had been in minesweepers when the war ended he may have continued to serve, as many did, for several years after the war on mine clearing operations under British supervision ( in the GMSA - German Minesweeping Administration) and then on into the Bundesmarine, but the cap itself is, I'm fairly sure, not wartime.

Gordon, thanks for your opinion.

Cheers Stephen.