News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Baden's Lost 900: the 1918 Zähringer Lions Roth Did NOT List

Guest Rick Research

How about "Aha?"

Sascha-- the very last name on the list is Lt dr Erich Lutter, at the bottom of page 549. None of the days on that page are legible, but the last entry on page 548--Hermann Fecht--is 8.11.18. Many times though earlier awards are entered as blocks to one reghiment or whatever many pages out of date sequence. What cannot be read, at least from copies, are XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

I always wonder what happened... "Don't go back to work today, there's been a revolution?" Piles of paper left over from going home the day before? ...

Hi Rick,

All the hard work that goes into translating the award rolls is greatly appreciated. You must be almost blind from this and thinking of Sutterlin as your native writing by now. :lol:

P.S. Will any of this info be published anytime in the near future?

Regards,

Sam

Edited by sambolini

Guest Rick Research

Started with one eye... not getting any better. :speechless1:

Baden is so waaaaaay down on the list-- since the Z?hringen Roll is so insanely crappy it will have to be looked at by somebnody THERE, in person, off the original...

this is likely to be "it" for years upon years, kiddos. So above are just the LEGIBLE additions to what has been printed already.

Having had all our OTHER states' WW1 award rolls work that IS done go absolutely nowhere :banger: near printing.... here we are at the end of 2007 :banger: with no pages to show for all that work and effort. :banger: Five volumes done, long past Done & Ready, result = ZERO. :banger: With five more in final editing, proofreading....

I begin to despair. Maybe 2008, maybe not. If not, will have to do something else, since this obviously has not worked as a publication plan. :(:banger:

Rick, why don't you guys publish your book in a CD/DVD format with text and images. I'm sure everyone would be happy to have the roles in any format you can produce. I'd pay for a nice disk with the roles and maybe images of the awards and photos of recipients. Man, it would be something you could do either yourself or with a little help from an expert.

Just think, if everyone agreed to volunteer an image and a photo you could have one heck of an E-Book.

Guest Rick Research

WE were hoping to avoid THEFT of our labor with the copyright protection of printed paper. Also, no matter what everything THINKS is the Permanent Computer Gizmo Of Tomorrow-World...

I've already seen floppy disks go the way of the dodo, zip disks go the way of the wooly mammoth, and CDs and DVDs are currently being shoved aside by those Star Trek data crystal things that look like cigarette lighters.

A book is a book forever. It requires only light to read.

Sigh.

But since neither Daniel nor I have the "spare" cash to sepnd on printing our books, we had been relying on outside finance which has not been forthcoming.

So we're stuck.

Something will happen in 2008. I'm not having my work die with me.

See how long it takes (test case, chirruns, test case) for MY Added 900 Z?hringens to show up all over without so much as a credit or a thank me. "Off the internet" it'll be... considered (by those who always consider other people's work theirs for the taking) "free" for the grabbing. Uh huh.

If I was a selfish person, I would not have SHARED it. But watch and see how long it is before copied and copied and copied it becomes "source unknown."

THAT'S what happens without paper page copyright protection.

I agree, a book is better. I enjoy my books much more than the internet but it seems the world is heading paperless. That's all I hear, it seems, at the office.:angry:

I myself still print my reports so I can read and study them. But then, I'm not really one of the new generation... x or y... :rolleyes:

I was told Mainhardt was the last award by Mr. Thamm but don't know how he knew this ... ?!

How about "Aha?"
    That's even a city's (well, village's) name in the Black Forest. I wondered when I saw it for the first time, looking out of the train at a train stop ... :lol:

• 2 months later...

Rick,

The correct unit entry for Leutnant der Reserve Georg Eschenhagen should read:

Eschenhagen, Georg Lt dR Res Feldart Rgt 5 19.07.18 533

Besides all of the other tireless and unpaid work you do for us all, thank you very much for providing Eschenhagen's award date.

From J?rgen Kraus excellent two-volume handbook of the troops and formations of the German Army 1914-1918, I know that Reserve-Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 5 was part of 5. Reserve-Division when he was awarded the Z?hringer L?we. At that time, 5. Reserve-Division was fighting on the Avre and the Matz.

David

Guest Rick Research

:cheers: David! On the back burner is a second edition of Roth's work, filling in as many of the missing unit numbers as possible that are legible. The last 6 months through are a horror of faded away microscopic war ink remains, so every literal bit with these "900" helps!!!

• saschaw changed the title to Baden's Lost 900: the 1918 Zähringer Lions Roth Did NOT List