News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me when Supt Olive was at X Div? Judging by his photo, I think it must have been early last century, can anyone shine any light on this for me. Also included in the photo are various Chief Insps and Insps....
    Sygrove
    Collison
    Whittle
    Ball
    Dingle
    Douglas
    Baxter
    Reid
    Taylor
    Macer
    Ricketts
    Perry
    Instance
    Dauncey
    Sellors
    Cosgrove
    Morgan
    Barrett
    Parker
    Lvie
    Richards.

All have at least two medals each. They are all wearing peaked caps, two of them are in civvies, which look late Victorian to Pre-WW1 style.

If anyone has any thoughts I`d very much like to hear from you.

Gordon.

• 4 weeks later...
    • 11 years later...

I started this thread a good 12 or so years ago. If anyone's interest? Insp COSGROVE's trio recently sold on ebay. I have not seen or heard about any other medals to any of the men on this photograph. 

George Cosgrove
    Warrant #77150
    Joined Met: 16/11/1892  PC319D.
    Retired: 02/01/1922 as Sub Divisional Inspector.

PC - 1897
    Sgt - 1902
    Insp. 1911

Cosgrove 002.png

Edited by bigjarofwasps
    Updated service details.

Just seen this thread has resurfaced

I have the 1902 medal to Richard Rickett  (named to Ricketts) who is on that photo (middle row - fourth from left).   All through his career they appear to have spelt his name wrong. 

In 1902 Rickett was a PS in C Div but had previously served as a PC in X Div.  He was then a Station PS in Y Div before moving back to X Div as an Inspector in June 1909.

29 minutes ago, Odin Mk 3 said:

Just seen this thread has resurfaced

I have the 1902 medal to Richard Rickett  (named to Ricketts) who is on that photo (middle row - fourth from left).   All through his career they appear to have spelt his name wrong. 

In 1902 Rickett was a PS in C Div but had previously served as a PC in X Div.  He was then a Station PS in Y Div before moving back to X Div as an Inspector in June 1909.

Odin, many thanks for your reply.

Not sure if you've got a picture of him? 

Rickett.png

As best I can I've looked at all the officers medals in the photograph and other than Supt. Olive, the only one who appears to have the 1887/97 Jubilee Medal is C/Insp Parker. Can anyone tell me anything about his career? 

Parker 001.png

Yes I have that group photo thanks

William Parker joined the Met 2/5/1887 as a PC in D Division (Marylebone) with the Warrant Number 72533. 

By 1902 he was a PS in V Div (Wandsworth) and in Oct that year he was promoted to Station Sergeant and moved to Y Div (Highgate). 

In Feb 1904 he became an Inspector in T Div (Hammersmith) and was promoted to Sub Divisional Insp in J Div (Hackney) in Dec 1906. 

In Feb 1911 he moved to X Div (Kilburn) as Chief Inspector and in June 1918 was made Supt in charge of N Division (Islington). 

I'm not sure when he retired but he had definitely left sometime before 1929.  He had certainly moved around London during his career.

His medals will be named 1887 PC D Div, 1902 PS V Div, 1911 Ch Insp.

MetmapParker.jpg

Edited by Odin Mk 3

• 1 month later...

I thought it might assist other collectors if I added the initials of all these officers to avoid confusion...

R. Sygrove
    A. Collison
    T. Whittle
    H. Ball
    W. Dingle
    J. Douglas (Res. Insp)
    W. Baxter
    J. Reid (Det. Insp)
    C. Taylor
    A. Macer
    R. Ricketts
    W. Perry
    F. Instance
    W. Dauncey
    A. Sellors
    G. Cosgrove (S.D Insp)
    H. Morgan (S.D Insp)
    E. Barrett (Det Insp)
    J. Olive (Superintendant)
    W H. Parker (Chief Insp)
    G. Lovie (S.D Insp)
    D. Richards (S.D Insp) 

Hope that helps?

• 1 year later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    On 5/16/2017 at 21:56, Danny980 said:

Hello. 

A great photograph. 

Do we know in which station yard it was taken?

I'm a PS in modern day X Division. Kilburn is now part of QK.

I would assume Kilburn itself as Divisional Headquarters, as I imagine that would have been where Olive was stationed. Being the senior officer, I assume that the other officers would have come to him for the picture as apposed to him going to another station? 

• 1 year later...

Just out of interest, are James Olive's medals known to exist? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Olive

I think I'm right in believing that he's the longest serving police officer, I wonder whether the new changes to the police pension will mean at some point in the next few years he'll be superseded in this title?