News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Zanzibar: Orders, Decorations and Medals

Elmar Lang

Hello,

Is the name BRAHMIN an indian one ?

If yes, in could well be a medal issued, may be (??), to a some sort of servant to MacDonald.

In this case the problem, at least to me, is to understand what an indian had to do with the Royal Navy during the Boer war.

Regards

Lilo

That was my first thought, though I have never seen "Brahmin" as a"family name"; in any case "W" as a first initial would be linguistically impossible.

Guest Rick Research

What the heck is a "Seedie?"

I do not find Dr MacDonald in the 1935 British "Who's Who," but would suggest that an earlier edition would probably have someone as prominent as him.

Good evening,

Fascinating stuff - bringing back wonderful memories of Zanzibar, Stone Town, the dhows...

The death of George Allardice Macdonald was reported by the University of Edinburgh Journal :

GEORGE ALLARDICE MACDONALD, MB, CM 1893 : at Gutach-Breisgau, Germany, 13th October 1960, October 1960, aged 91.

Dr MacDonald was born in the West Indies, and after graduating in Edinburgh spent a large part of his medical career abroad, first in Zanzibar and later in the British West Indies.

Some of these fantastic decorations were duly gazetted in the London Gazette :

Whitehall, August.25, 1897.

THE Queen has been pleased to give and grant unto each of the undermentioned Officials of the Zanzibar Government, Her Majesty's Royal licence and authority that he may accept and wear the Insignia of the Order appearing against his name, conferred, upon him by His Highness the Sultan of Zanzibar in recognition of his services while actually and entirely employed beyond Her Majesty's Dominions in His Highness's service:? (...)

Order of Hamondieh of the Fourth Class.- (...)

George Allardyce Macdonald, Zanzibar Government Medical Officer in charge of Hospital during the bombardment.

(*sic* re. the "Allardyce" spelling)

Whitehall, July 12, 1906.

The KING has been pleased to give and grant unto the undermentioned Gentlemen His Majesty's Royal licence and authority to accept and wear the Insignia of the 'First, Second, Third or Fourth Class of the Order of El Aliyeh (as stated against their respective names), which Decorations have been conferred upon them by His Highness the Sultan of Zanzibar in recognition of valuable services rendered by them to His Highness:? (...)

Third Class.

George Allardice MacDonald, Esq., M.B., C.M.

Whitehall, June 21, 1907.

The KING has been pleased to give and grant unto George Allardice MacDonald, Esq., M.B., C.M., His Majesty's Royal licence and authority that he may accept and wear the Insignia of the Third Class of the Order of the Brilliant Star of Zanzibar, conferred upon him by His Highness the Sultan of Zanzibar, in recognition of valuable services rendered by him.

Whitehall, July 29, 1908.

The KING has been pleased to give and grant unto the undermentioned Gentlemen His Majesty 's Royal licence and authority to accept and wear Decorations (as stated against theirrespective names) which have been conferred upon them by His Highness the Sultan of Zanzibar, in recognition of valuable services rendered by them : ? (...)

Insignia of the Second Class of the Order of "El Aliyeh"

George Allardice MacDonald, Esq., M.B., C.M

Whitehall, October 21, 1908.

The KING has been pleased to give and grant unto George Allardice MacDonald, Esq., M.B., C.M., His Majesty's Royal licence and authority to accept and wear the Insignia of a Knight of the Order of the Crown of Italy, conferred upon him by His Majesty the King of Italy, in recognition of valuable services rendered by him.

Yep, last is the "bad" news : there's (at least ?) an Order of the Crown missing.

Many thanks for sharing those beauties ! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Jerome

Edited by Djedj

Dear Jerome,

thank you very much for this highly interesting information!

The orders' pillow doesn't show the Order of the Crown of Italy, but that piece still exists, pinned to the award document and the authorization for wear from the Zanzibarian Government. Besides the orders, the group counts a good number of old photos of Dr. Mac D.(both "official" and private); his wife, friends, his home, the Sultans (also with dedication!); parts of his parade uniform; a group of letters and various papers; a dagger and a sword with gold mounts.

I'm trying to imagine how would have been the "colonial" life of an European in Zanzibar, in those old days (1895-1915): no telephone (perhaps the telegraph?), no tv, no internet...

best wishes,

Enzo

Pleasure Enzo !

Good to know the Order's there - and that there's documentation as well !

As for life in Zanzibar - interestingly one of the Palace of the Sultan, right in the middle of Stone Town, was called "Beit-al-Ajaib" or the "House of Wonders" : built in 1883, it owed its name ot the fact that it is supposed to be the first Austral African House to feature electricity, running water and an elevator !

H%20of%20W%20crowd%20c1904.jpg

Extracted from :

http://www.zanzibarhistory.org/table_of_contents.htm

(where more views are to be found)

Cheers,

Jerome

Dear Paul,

thank you very much for this precious information!

I've tried to search if HMS Philomel had anything to do with Zanzibar and/or operations on the seas around that area, but no success...

Kind regards,

Enzo

Philomel I believe was involved in blockading Delgoa Bay area (the Transvaal's only supply port) with a number of other ships, in a vain effort ot starve the Boers.

Paul

Bonsoir,

Re. Philomel,

From The Times, August 26, 1896 :

Latest Intelligence. Death Of The Sultan Of Zanzibar.

ZANZIBAR, Aug. 25.

The Sultan died at 11 o'clock to-day.

The situation is critical. Khalid, who has seized the palace, has 1,200 armed men and has proclaimed himself Sultan.

Her Majesty's ships Philomel, Sparrow, and Thrush are here, and 150 men have been landed..-Our correspondant.

ZANZIBAR, Aug. 25.

The Sultan of Zanzibar, Hamid bin Thwain bin Said, died to-day. He was about 40 years of age and ascended the Throne in 1893.

[The above appeared in our Second Edition of yesterday.]

LATER.

When the Sultan's death became known, Said Khalid immediately took posession of the Palace and proclaimed himself Sultan. he has 700 armed askaris with him and is now barricading the Palace.

Her Majesty's cruiser Philomel and the gunboats Thrush and Sparrow have landed men at the Custom-house and are now awaiting orders from the Foreign Office how to act.

All the ladies have been lodged at the British Consulate as trouble is feared.-Reuter."

Trouble rightly feared - with the following bombardment ! :violent:

Cheers,

Jerome

Edited by Djedj

Guest Rick Research

Amazing detective work, Jerome !!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

From the West Indies 1869 to Zanzibar to... Germany 1960! :speechless1: WHAT A LIFE !!!!!!

What a life indeed !

Dr. MacDonald was still in Zanzibar when WWI broke out :

(from ??Zanzibar Affairs, 1914-1933?? By Richard Hayes Crofton)

"The Pegasus affair happened on Sunday the 20th of September 1914.

Pegasus had drawn fires and was cleaning her boilers and repairing machinery. Konigsberg must have come up between 4 and 5 a.m. The Indian lighthouse keepers at Chumbe near which Konigsberg made her base of operations, saw her and knew it was she. They had only to pull a string to set off a terrific alarm signal, but fear prevailed and they did nothing. If they had sounded the alarm, it is quite likely Konigsberg would have turned tail and gone 'hell for leather'. Alternatively Pegasus only required twenty minutes to raise steam.

As it was, the ship's company knew nothing until the firing began. The third shot found her out and a great many more afterwards. Konigsberg began at 9000 yards and then closed to 7000. Pegasus was helplessly anchored broadside on with guns, three of which were condemned four years ago on the China Station, and even so, with only a flat projectory range of a thousand yards.

The engagement began a little before 5.30 am and was over in twenty minutes.

I was staying at the English Club at the time and was roused from my slumbers by the sound of shells screaming overhead. I first ran upstairs to the verandah overlooking the sea. From there I could see nothing but could hear the shots whistling past in front of me. I then ran down to the verandah of the main building, from which I could through the Club telescope watch the firing and movements of Konigsberg. Pegasus was out of sight round the point. She answered for a short time and then became silent?I could not understand why.

Konigsberg did not wait long after she disabled her foe but, throwing overboard dozens of shell cases, which we feared at first were mines, and firing three parting shots in the direction of the Mission at Mbweni, where possibly she thought there were guns guarding the entrance? turned round and went off at full speed to the south.

Khalifa, one of the Government steamers, had up to that night, been doing patrol work to the south of the Island, covering Chumbe. For some reason she did not go out that night, her duty being taken by a small steam tug. The latter did not see the enemy until she was close up to her. She then fired a shot or two but promptly had a shot put through her boiler which fatally burnt the native in the engine room but harmed no one else. The rest took to the water. Konigsberg offered the Officer in command, Lt. C.J.Charlewood, R.N.R., a life belt, which however he refused and swam a mile ashore.

The other Government Steamer, Cupid, had gone to Dar-es-Salaam and a rumour was for some time current that she had been sent to the bottom. Later in the forenoon she appeared to the south and came steaming in past Chumbe, somewhat to our consternation as we watched from the verandah of the Residency, because Konigsberg kept sending messages by wireless all the morning warning Khalifa against the southern entrance which she said was dangerous. This was another instance of decent behaviour on the part of Konigsberg.

I have mentioned the life-belt incident and I may add that, close as it was, not a single shot touched the town.

Pegasus after the engagement, with bodies, portions of bodies and blood, was a veritable shambles. She lay some hundreds of yards out in the stream. Shore boats were promptly despatched and two doctors went off on their own initiative. The ship?s doctor had in the meantime done his work with great finesse and by the application of tourniquets, saved many lives. The wounded were taken in to the European Hospital- luckily on the front-where first aid was rendered.

Dr. Macdonald deserves the greatest credit for his organization.

He had been through the bombardment in 1896 and had made all preparations.

By 11 am first aid had been rendered and most of the cases were then passed on to the Native Hospital, to the Native Hospital, which had been cleared in no time of native cases.

There were nine doctors at work and they responded like Trojans to the call.

They did not get through until 10 pm and then of course all the operations had not been done.

The two wounded officers stood no chance: one had to have both legs off and the other, one. The twenty four men killed in action were buried that afternoon on Grave Island, all in one large grave. The seven who had died from wounds on shore were laid to rest in the European Cemetary at Mnazi Mmoja. The bodies were sewn up in canvas covered with a Union Jack,and carried on stretchers shoulder high by their comrades, the European community following in procession.

Between fifty and sixty more were wounded and between six and ten have since died. Altogether the casualties amounted to about forty per cent of the ship?s complement. How anyone escaped under the awful fire it is difficult to understand.

Of course the most marvellous tales of escape are recounted. They tried to beach Pegasus but the tide was unfavourable and she sank in shallow water during the morning.

Her masts are visible now at low tide. "

Hi all,

I need to publicly thank all those who, either on the Forum or via email, helped me in this research on the Zanzibar group belonged to Dr. Mac Donald. This research (that involves my professional life) has now become a fascinating work on a relatively less-known aspect of Great Britain's colonial history, facts that deserve all the attention of collectors and enthusiasts.

In this case, history and documents gave "life" to an otherwise anonymous (although rare) group. The participation and contribution of many people in this Forum, gave the "final touch" to a highly interesting picture.

What's happened in these days, shows how important the Web can be, allowing the contact between us, the otherwise little world of collectors and experts of Phaleristic.

Sincerely,

Enzo Calabresi

Edited by Elmar Lang

Hi all,

I need to publicly thank all those who, either on the Forum or via email, helped me in this research on the Zanzibar group belonged to Dr. Mac Donald. This research (that involves my professional life) has now become a fascinating work on a relatively less-known aspect of Great Britain's colonial history, facts that deserve all the attention of collectors and enthusiasts.

In this case, history and documents gave "life" to an otherwise anonymous (although rare) group. The participation and contribution of many people in this Forum, gave the "final touch" to a highly interesting picture.

What's happened in these days, shows how important the Web can be, allowing the contact between us, the otherwise little world of collectors and experts of Phaleristic.

Sincerely,

Enzo Calabresi

Very well put, Enzo. Thanks. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 years later...

A Zanzibar, Order of the Brilliant Star, Sultan Khalife (I) bin Said type (1888-90), Star, 85mm, by Haley maker, Paris. Love the look of this toughra, made of raised gold metal with inlayed red enamel surround.

Congrats on a wonderful purchase, Markus. I have wanted one of these for a long time but have had to be disciplined.

The design of the Brilliant Star Order, and the quality of the workmanship of this example, is simply breathtaking.

Next will have to be a Brilliant Star badge with the portrait of Sultan Hamad bin Thuwaini!

Incidentally, it wasn't mentioned in the earlier posts that I could see, but that superb group awarded to Dr George Macdonald sold for 30,000 Swiss Francs at the 2008 UBS auction. It belonged to Professor Gustav Tammann after all. Wonder if he ever did complete his study on the Orders and Decorations of Zanzibar.

• 7 years later...

Hello Gentlemen,

Yes this is WORTH Company production.

Here is the Nishani ya Ushujaa,

But even if it's a neck badge, it's a single class Award.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Zanzibar Regional Government Order of Valour Nishani Ya Ushujaa.jpg

Zanzibar Nishani Ya Ushujaa.jpg

Edited by heusy68

The Nishani Mapinduzi is a more "general Order of Merit", which, as long as I understand, exist also in single class, a sash badge on a sash + a breast star)

Quality is not exceptional. But they have been awarded such a way in 2017, by the semi autonomous government of Zanzibar.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel.

Zanzibar Regional Government Nishani Ya Mapinduzi ya Zanzibar.jpg

Zanzibar Nishani Ya Mapinduzi ya Zanzibar.jpg

Zanzibar Nishani Ya Mapinduzi Ya Zanzibar sash badge.jpg

Edited by heusy68

This is the article about this ceremony in end June 2017. It exist also link to you tube, that show the award ceremony , in live.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Zanzibar Nishani Ya Mapinduzi Zanzibar award in 2018.png

Edited by heusy68

There is a 3rd Award in the 2016/2017 Series of Awards from the Regional Government of Zanzibar.

It's Nishani ya Utumishi Ullotukuka.

It looks fancy, but the overall quality is not that great.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Zanzibar Regional Government Order of Exemplary service Nishani ya Utumishi Uliotukuka.jpg

Zanzibar Nishani ya Utumishi Ullotukuka.jpg

Edited by heusy68

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have any information on the large silver and bronze Zanzibar Govt Medals with the names of different districts on them.

I have seen these variously described as Chiefs' Medals and District Commissioners' Medals