News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

GWL Pilot, P/O, and Observer Badges

Francois

Yes, you are right. Same conclusion that you and JTW came up with, "personal preference". IF they weren't using the "swirl" tool then it was something else that didn't leave a uniform impression. I guess an open mind is always best, but only when other authentic construction characteristics are present.

No doubt, I'm always learning and looking at badges in new ways with an open mind!

Kindest Regards,

Steve

My new mantra: I know that I know nothing!

Edited by Steve K.

I think there are enough features of a genuine GWL to be able to tell good from bad. The 'finger print' I would imagine is a by-product of the manufacturing process, not of the die and I would think formed from some process to mill the reverse smooth? If missing from some and not others then perhaps the process was skipped sometimes or maybe phased out.

I only have one GWL (pilot) so since I have it I have not chased any others so can only relate my experience from this one piece and it does have the 'finger print' but very faint. I have to use a loupe to see it and then only at certain angles. With the naked eye I can't see it. It has all the features I would expect and exhibits the flaw to the maker-marked ring and the wreath frosted with polished high-lights and the eagle that unique green/caramel colour.

I was just trying to find a pic of it but can't so I'll refer you to the pic of it in my website:

http://rgordon4.tripod.com/decorations/id72.html

Here's the marking.

Rich