News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWII US Navy Submarine Artifacts

Erik Krogh

I have been collecting U-Boat items for a number of years but have become interested in the US Navy Silent Service lately. Here are a few items from my USN collection.

First up is my best pair of officer's dolphins. These belonged to James G. Andrews, who was the Executive Officer of USS Aspro and later commanded USS Sabalo. Andrews was awarded the Silver Star.

An encounter between Andrews and Aspro's Commander Harry Stevenson was mentioned in Clay Blair's "Silent Victory" (page 510). Stevenson confided to Andrews that his eyesight was failing but declined to let Andrews take over the periscope.

The dolphins were made by Baily, Banks, and Biddle and are 10k gold. Andrews' wife Shirley E. Wilde engraved the back "S.E.W to J.G.A. Dec. 1942".

Edited by Erik Krogh

My collection includes a scrapbook from Albert Jenigen, who served on all 7 war patrols of USS Crevalle. This boat's patrols are chronicled in Capt. William Ruhe's book "War in the Boats - My WWII Submarine Battles". Crevalle was a member of "Hydeman's Hepcats" during Operation Barney, in which 9 subs entered the Sea of Japan, which was littered with anti-submarine mines and other hazards. Vice Admiral Lockwood awarded a "Mighty Mine Dodgers" certificate to participants of the Operation. Here is Jenigen's.

• 1 month later...

AWESOME!!!

German U-boat stuff is so popular, you never really get to see the US Silent Service stuff. It's amazing when you actually get to see items like these. How rare would you rare US Submariner items?? You never really see them.

Chris,

Thanks for your comments! The US "Silent Service" didn't get the same amount of press that the U-Bootwaffe received during WWII, so it appears that many people are not aware of the many brave and colorful exploits of the USN's submarine service. US sub items are still pretty reasonable, with eBay the primary trading site on the internet. Officer's dolphins average about $250, and Combat Patrol pins with three stars go for $150-250. Personalized items, particularly to members of successful boats, command a higher premium. I personally think that US submarine items will be going up in value.

A good reference is "US Silent Service - Dolphins and Combat Insignia 1924-1945" by David A. Jones.

Best Regards,

Erik

• 6 years later...