News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Hungarian collection

Well, that's it for tonight. Need to hit the sack. :sleep: But hoping to do more as soon as possible. Hope everyone enjoys and continues to do so. :beer: Special thanks to Gordon, Zsolt and very special thanks to Charles without whom I would not have been able to build up my Hungarian collection in anywhere close to the short period of time or in the quality of items that I've been able to obtain. Ya'll are simply the greatest! :cheers:

Dan :D

Edited by Hauptman

• Replies 135
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan,

The word T?RZSG?RDA does not refer to factory guards. T?RZSG?RDA pins are given out by firms/companies/organizations to recognize a number of years worked for them by an individual. They are normally given in five year increments with a small award certificate IGAZOLV?NY in Hungarian. I did a thread on these in the GMIC HUPR Forum earlier in the year. A very nice cased pin and well worth having in your collection.

Regards,

Gordon

Telephone Factory Guard Badge:

Dan,

Please post the cover of the book so all can tell what they are looking at. Lots of interesting stuff in it.

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad that we have been able to help with your collection and we all grow in the knowledge of our collectng area when we help others. One of the benefits of helping!

Regards,

Gordon

Dan,

Please post the cover of the book so all can tell what they are looking at. Lots of interesting stuff in it.

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad that we have been able to help with your collection and we all grow in the knowledge of our collectng area when we help others. One of the benefits of helping!

Regards,

Gordon

I think that is post #20. "Hungaro" (Peter Czink) sells them out of Vancouver.

The Hungarian vets' assn. he runs out there has a magnificent website.

Dan,

Sorry for my request to show the cover of the magazine. For some reason I didn't the post where you showed it when I looked last night. A very worthwhile publication, which I haven't bought yet. Peter is a helpful guy and certainly runs great web site for Hungarian collectors. I've bought a few things from him and was always very satisfied with both the transaction and what I bought.

Regards,

Gordon

Dan,

Sorry for my request to show the cover of the magazine. For some reason I didn't the post where you showed it when I looked last night. A very worthwhile publication, which I haven't bought yet. Peter is a helpful guy and certainly runs great web site for Hungarian collectors. I've bought a few things from him and was always very satisfied with both the transaction and what I bought.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

No problem at all. Just glad it all worked out. And many thanks for the info on that one badge set. Just went by what Zsolt had it titled as on the original auction. Always great to learn more. :jumping:

And yes, Peter seems very nice and the magazine/book looks terrific. Can't wait till I can see/read it in person... hoping it arrives soon. Looks like it will also be a great reference for that period of Hungarian militaria, etc.

Also many thanks to Jeff (Ulsterman) for his help re: the book. :cheers:

Hoping to post more soon. But for now I'm heading off to hit the sack. :Cat-Scratch:

Mucho thanks! :beer:

Dan :cheers::sleep:

Dan,

I looked at what Zsolt had said in his store about this set (right after I made my post as I recognized badge set as soon as you posted it) and he had translated the Hungarian as "old guard" which is as good an English translation as any. In communist jargon that would refer to someone who had been a worker for some time not an actual guard.

Cheers,

Gordon

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Sorry it's been awhile but had to go on a trip to Florida to help a very dear friend and fellow forum member and I've been working at three jobs and about to start a fourth so needless to say I've been fairly busy and haven't had much time to enjoy on the forum. Hoping that will change as I'm trying to get more time when I'm off and even on my work days to be on here and working on my various hobbies.

This will still take me a while but here are some more additions to the collection. Note that from here on unless otherwise noted the pics are Charles (Hunyadi) and used with permission (Thanks Charles!) and also these same items (unless otherwise noted) were obtained from Charles as well. :cheers:

An M63 Colonel (Panzer) uniform:

Edited by Hauptman

Next... one that's on it's way (along with the next item in line and the uniform I've already posted) from Charles (mucho thanks my friend! :cheers: ). This one being an Order of Merit of the HUPR in Gold. My first of this type of award:

:jumping::jumping::love::love::jumping::jumping:

HUPR in Gold is beautiful. Is this the equivalent to the Order of Glory in the Soviet Union?

Hi Paul,

I definitely agree. Charles outdid himself on this one for sure! :jumping: And there's a bit of a story to this one. He actually had another one on hold at a militaria shop over in Hungary. As he'd gotten something else he offered it to me and I couldn't pass it up. He went to pick it up the next day and when he was chatting with the dealer the dealer dropped it! :o As you can imagine, the enamel shattered and it was ruined! A rare piece made even more so now. And to make things worse, it was a consignment piece! :speechless1:

Well, Charles knew I'd really loved it and how much I had wanted it. Sure enough he went to a show the next day and found this one which is even better! :jumping: Again Charles... many thanks my friend!!!! :cheers:

But on the other... I'm not sure to be honest. As I say I've still got alot to learn. But I'm sure either Charles or Gordon will pop on and be able to answer this one. An excellent question by the way and one I'd not have thought to ask. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman

Dan,

Congratulations on getting this rare drivers badge. As Charles says, these just don't turn up for sale. Obviously that is why you found yours listed with Russian stuff. Hardly anyone knows what they are. The badges in this series that you are the most likely to encounter are the Snipers badge, and the Distinguished AA radio Operator badge. That doesn't mean they are not rare, just that Charles and I have seen one or two in the last year. Often with broken prongs on the back. Luckily yours are both in good shape. Some of the others turn up from time-to-time. I have a Heavy Machinegunners badge and Charles has a Light Machine gunners badge that we bought at the same time last year plus a few other obscure ones. There are 51 badges in this series so we will all have long grey beards before we collect one of each of these. I'll be putting a Distinguished AA radior operators badge up for sale soon. Haven't decided yet whether to list it on the GMIC or put it on ebay.

Cheers,

Gordon

Dan,

Congratulations on getting this rare drivers badge. As Charles says, these just don't turn up for sale. Obviously that is why you found yours listed with Russian stuff. Hardly anyone knows what they are. The badges in this series that you are the most likely to encounter are the Snipers badge, and the Distinguished AA radio Operator badge. That doesn't mean they are not rare, just that Charles and I have seen one or two in the last year. Often with broken prongs on the back. Luckily yours are both in good shape. Some of the others turn up from time-to-time. I have a Heavy Machinegunners badge and Charles has a Light Machine gunners badge that we bought at the same time last year plus a few other obscure ones. There are 51 badges in this series so we will all have long grey beards before we collect one of each of these. I'll be putting a Distinguished AA radior operators badge up for sale soon. Haven't decided yet whether to list it on the GMIC or put it on ebay.

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks my friend! :cheers: Have you posted the others you mention? Would love to see them. :jumping:

It's funny as my first HuPR piece was that cased sports badge and that was also mislisted as a Soviet award. And also got that for a terrific price. Other than feeling 99.99999% sure this badge was Hungarian I didn't have any idea whatsoever that it was rare. It's the kind of thing that if I'd seen it at a flea market or antique shop I might have passed it by... save for the fact that the price would have probably pulled me into buying it to put into the collection. But if it had been much more I'd have probably passed it by.

It's being shipped out later today via Priority Mail so with luck I should have it in hand by midweek if not sooner. Keeping my fingers crossed. Can't wait to see it in person and first thing I'll do is make better scans and post those. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

HUPR in Gold is beautiful. Is this the equivalent to the Order of Glory in the Soviet Union?

Order of Merit of the HUPR was both a civlilan and a military award. Instituted in October of 1949 the award was meant to cover nearly every aspect as there were 8 grades in total. (specific military award wer not created until 1953) Mostly the award was given to signify great acomplishments in furthering the HUPR. Militarily it was like the Order of the Red Star and in Civlilan terms the Order of Glory. Hope that helps...