News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Parachutes in the DDR

Gentlemen,

I don't ever remember a thread on this forum about DDR paras or parachutes so I think it is time that we had one. I am going to try and show my chutes from memory and I hope the pictures I show captions for are the correct ones!

First off, there were a number of different chutes in use in the DDR. Turns out that some of these chutes were also used by other WP countries sich as Hungary which used the RS 4/4.

Anyway, on to the main topic which is the most commonly used chutes. The two main organizations which used chutes in the DDR were the GST and the NVA. The most commonly used one appears to be the RS 4 especially in its final version, the RS 4/4. This chute had a standard round canpoy of 73.4 m2. It weighed 16kgs and had a decent rate of 4-4.5 m/sec. It was normally deployed with a device that would automatically open the chute at a predetermined altitude. The reserve chute (front) used with all main back chutes in the DDR was the BE-8. The BE-8 has a much smaller canopy at 41.5 m2 but the descent rate is about the same. I don't have a picture of an RS 4/4 with me but bothit and the next chute we will talk about have round canopies so I will show a picture of a Falli descending in an RS 9 2/B.

The next chute, the RS 9 2/B, had a smaller canopy than the RS 4/4 at 66 m2 and descended a little faster at 4.8- 5 metres pers sec. It weighed about the same as the RS 4/4 at 15kgs.

The other chute that I have is much more interesting. It is the RL 10. The RL 10 has a rectangular canopy and is normally only used by very experienced fallis. Its purpose is for use in HALO (High Altitude Low Opening) jumps where the jumper free falls for most of the distance between the aircraft and the ground. It is very manuvuerable and allows for pin point landings. Here are some shots of the RL 10 in use. The pictures were taken by the guy that sold me the chute to demonstrate what it looked like open. It was repacked before sale. My chute is it has past the 15 year mark and can no longer be used in parachute jumps.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

I think I know that seller. He is really helpful and friendly.

BTW: Parachutes in the DDR were manufactured by VEB Bekleidungswerke Seifhennersdorf, [also known as BWS or "Bewes"]. Military Betriebsnummer 1816.

An Entry from Wer liefert was? (34 Ausgabe [1971])

Edited by jon m.

Hi Gordon, you are correct. BWS was 1817..... I was typing from memory and didn't look at my files....... I should have entered 1817. Oh well, I can't remember all of the Betriebsnummern. :rolleyes:

Jon M,

This chute, the RS 9B/2 was not made by 1816 but by 1817. Here is a picture of the stamp on the chute case.

Cheers,

Gordon