News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Peter Nyitrays collections of Hungarian and Austro-Hungarian militaria.

Peter Orincsay

• Replies 238
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello John!

I am not really sure of the origin of my Z?szl?s (Warrant Officer) tunic. I was found hidden in the basement among my late grandfathers belongings.

Since he never were a Z?szl?s (Warrant Officer), he went straight to Hadnagy (Lieutenant) after graduating the Ludovika Military (Budapest) academy in 1937.

And I?m still not 100% sure what the purple colour is for military branch.

The tunic is in mint condition and with a nice taylors tag inside. The tag says: N?das ?s Osz?czky - ?ri ?s Egyenruha Szab?k - Budapest, IV Esk? T?r 1. (N?das & Osz?czky - Gentlemen and Uniform taylors, Budapest 4th district Esk? Squere 1.)

Hello John!

I am not really sure of the origin of my Z?szl?s (Warrant Officer) tunic. I was found hidden in the basement among my late grandfathers belongings.

Since he never were a Z?szl?s (Warrant Officer), he went straight to Hadnagy (Lieutenant) after graduating the Ludovika Military (Budapest) academy in 1937.

And I?m still not 100% sure what the purple colour is for military branch.

The tunic is in mint condition and with a nice taylors tag inside. The tag says: N?das ?s Osz?czky - ?ri ?s Egyenruha Szab?k - Budapest, IV Esk? T?r 1. (N?das & Osz?czky - Gentlemen and Uniform taylors, Budapest 4th district Esk? Squere 1.)

Hi Peter,

The branch is ordnance I believe. I ask because I was offered a tunic with the exact same branch/rank

FAKES...?

During my years of collecting i encountered many really ugly pieces. Some are pure fantasy thing only to fool the amateur collectors and make money to greedy fakers..

I don't know the origins of these pieces but in my eyes they look like bad fakes. The sellers talk that they were made during the war, and that there was no time to make them properly. :banger:

Sounds like just like it is... Just greedy sells talk..

I don?t like to display garbage, but i do it just so no one should pay for things like this!

The first piece is a "Vit?zs?gert" (for bravery) medal. The details near the upper ring looks to amature for a medal of this kind. The brass (original in bronze) feels thin, the hanger ring is also very poorly made.

Just for others information - these are easily distinguished from the originals as the "ring" around the perimeter is wider on one side than the other. Just FYI

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...

I haven?t updated for a while, but i haven?t stopped collecting.

Here?s just some of the things i added to my collection of Hungarian and Austro-Hungarian militaria.

Some months ago I finally managed to get an original, mint-conditioned Hungarian "Kepi-style" offices hat.

The model was a remain from Austro-Hungarian times, but modified to the Horthy, Titular kingdom (1920-1944) format,

with the Hungarian national colours inside the crest in front.

It was worn like this by all officers from second lieutenant up to generals.

Lower ranked NCO?s used the brown hat, that I have displayed earlier inside this topic series.

I was also lucky to get a WW1, Austro-Hungarian cap badge from the 68th K.u.K (Kaiser und K?nig, = Austro-Hungary) infantry regiment from Szolnok in Hungary.

The dealer at the Gothenburg military fair wasn?t sure what it was, and sold it to me for less then 2 Euro.

At the same military fair i found this to my Austro-Hungarian 1861-Model officers sabre.

The black and yellow were the Austrian Hapsburg colours.

I wonder what the red/brown stains are on this piece? Maybe some old remains of some duelling?

(I'm sorry, but i was not sure of the correct English word for this sabre attachment.)

Ulsterman,

There are no books that I am aware of that try to catalogue all of the different "Kappenabzeichen". That would be an enormous task. There is a small book by Roberto Todero called "KAPPENABZEICHEN" DISTINTIVI DA BERRETTO AUSTROUNGARICI" which is mostly in Italian with a German section in the back that covers the cap badges shown in the book. I bought a copy of this book during my last trip to Vienna and unless it happens to have the specific badge you are trying to gain info on it would not be a great addition to your library. There are only 47 badges in it that are covered to any depth.

Regards,

Gordon

• 1 month later...