News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Peter Nyitrays collections of Hungarian and Austro-Hungarian militaria.

Peter Orincsay

• Replies 238
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

It?s always fun to combine collecting and interest in digital computer work. Not long ago I bought a pack of old Austro-Hungarian military photographs form fellow gentleman IVER here at GMIC.

Scanning and working with the photos, my fantasy runs wild thinking what might have happened to the person and how it might have looked like the day the soldier went to the photographer to have his photo taken. I posted some digitally colourized photos here on the forum before.. Now that i have a lot of new photos to work on, all that can keep me away is my regular work and maybe my wife.. :rolleyes:

Well, I looked for this at many places and several sources shows that the leggings were the same colour.

In this case, the contrast between the leggings and the pants were so big, I assumed them to be darker.

I also looked at the poor quality of this poor soldiers uniform. There is a visible big whole above his left breast pocket.

So the pants might be used as well as his field coat.

Here is a photo I used to get some details right..

Peter,

In the book "The Emperor's Coat in the First World War" there are a couple of pictures showing men wearing these leg wrappings and they are all of different colour. There are two actual leg wrapers also pictured and they are different shades of brown. I'll post some photos from the book tomorrow. Can not get good pictures tonight.

I also think the uniform should be greyer and not so blue. Field grey tunics were just that. The tunics in the book I referenced above are all from the HGM in Vienna. I'll post some pictures of actual uniforms to give you a better idean of the actual colour.

Ulsterman,

I beleive the stripes indicate the arm of service where collar tabs are not worn. A war time economy measure.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Ulsterman,

Here is a pike grey tunic I was looking at in Vienna earlier this year. The ribbon was a repro, I am almost certain of that, and that made me hesitate to pay 1000 Euros for the tunic. The next time I was in the same store in Vienna it was gone. A very high grade tunic and probably tailor made for the officer who wore it hence more on the grey side than anything I've posted yet.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

• 3 months later...