News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Transkei, Ciskei, and Bophutwatswana medals

stephenmiller

Venda Defence Force General Service Medal

The medal was awarded for service to the Venda Defence Force or for the prevention and/or suppression of terrorism. The award of the medal was until 26 Apr 1994.

Regards

Norman

• 6 months later...

Bophuthatswana Distinguished Gallantry Cross

Refer to posts nr 5 and 16.

I have found beautiful images of the abovementioned decoration. To my knowledge the gallantry cross was awarded only six times to members of the Bophuthatswana Defence Force during its existence. Interestingly the decoration in the images beares the nr 7. Not sure if it was awarded and if so to whom.

Regards

Norman

• 1 year later...

Evening Gents

Just added this piece to my collection. It is the Ciskei Commander of the Defence Force Commendation. The medal is real hard to come by these days. So when I saw one up for grabs I had to take it, immediately.

Collection growth for 2011 has started.

Regards

Norman

Hi Norman. I must congratulate you on putting together such a fine collection of the old Homeland medals. I used to see a lot of them - however, they seem to have disappeared. Perhaps being collected overseas ? One day - like the old enamel shoulder titles - they will become much higher priced.

Hi Norman. I must congratulate you on putting together such a fine collection of the old Homeland medals. I used to see a lot of them - however, they seem to have disappeared. Perhaps being collected overseas ? One day - like the old enamel shoulder titles - they will become much higher priced.

Thank you Mervyn

Trying to do my bit. Sadly (for history's sake) it is a part of SA history that is fast being forgotten. Very interesting collection matter though.

Regards

Norman

Evening Gents

Just added this piece to my collection. It is the Ciskei Commander of the Defence Force Commendation. The medal is real hard to come by these days. So when I saw one up for grabs I had to take it, immediately.

Collection growth for 2011 has started.

Regards

Norman

Norman,

Very interesting topic and collection.

One of my main area of collecting is ribbons. I've now seen 3 different pictures of this medal and each one has a different ribbon. Do you know which ribbon is the correct one?

Thanks

Jean-Paul

........... One of my main area of collecting is ribbons. I've now seen 3 different pictures of this medal and each one has a different ribbon. Do you know which ribbon is the correct one?.........

Hi Jean-Paul

According to my records the correct ribbon is the one as shown in the image I posted. I have a medal poster issued by the SA Defence Force showing that ribbon.

Regards

Norman

Hi Jean-Paul

According to my records the correct ribbon is the one as shown in the image I posted. I have a medal poster issued by the SA Defence Force showing that ribbon.

Regards

Norman

Norman,

Thank you for the information. Is there a chance that you could post an image of the ribbon poster.

Jean-Paul

....... Is there a chance that you could post an image of the ribbon poster.

Jean-Paul

Hi Jean-Paul

Unfortunitely the poster is a massive thing. It shows all the medals, not just the ribbons. I will look around to see if I can get something smaller to post, specifically focussing on the ribbons.

We'll keep in touch in this regard.

Regards

Norman

• 1 year later...

Hello from South Africa

I am fairly new to the GMIC and am still finding my away around the vast number of interesting topics.

In 2000, Rhino Research published a book "Gallantry Awards of the South African Police 1913-1994" and during the time we were collating the information for the book, we spent several hours with Fred Brownell who was at that time the State Herald in Pretoria. He was passionate about the Homelands and collected any information/documents etc. that came his way.

The book therefore includes a section on Homelands police medals including a short introduction on the Homelands,, a photo of the medal (if available), description of the medal and ribbon, and a little information on the Designer of the medal.

The Homelands included are Bophuthatswana, Ciskei, Gazankulu, KwaNdebele, KwaZulu, Lebowa, Qwa Qwa, Transkei, and Venda.

If anyone would like scans of the pages from the book, do not hesitate to contact me at rhino.research@icon.co.za.

Audrey

Hello Audrey - I too would be interested in any information that you'd be willing to share... I am trying to develop the South Africa section of my website. Full acknowledgement given to all sources, of course.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 8 months later...

Marumo Medal: Gold (1988-1994) — Awarded to civilians, police and prisons service officers, and other non-military persons, for outstanding service that contributed to the continued development and welfare of the Bophuthatswana Defence Force.

Insignia: A circular medal displaying four red spearheads arranged in a cross.

Marumo Medal: Silver (1988-1994) — Awarded to non-military persons, for outstanding service that contributed meaningfully to the continued welfare of the BDF.

Insignia: Same design as the gold medal, but in silver and the spearheads are green.

• 5 years later...
    • 1 year later...
    • 1 year later...

Hi Archie777,

Do you have any pictures of the following medals and their correct ribbons ?

Bophuthatswana Police Decoration for Distinguished Service. (TK) (1992-95)

Bophuthatswana  Prison Decoration for Merit in the BPS (1984-1994/1984-96)
    Bophuthatswana  Prison Decoration for Valour in the BPS (1984-1994/1984-96)

Bophuthatswana  Prison Medal for Valour in the BPS (1984-1994)
    Bophuthatswana  Prison Medal for Merit in the BPS (1984-1994/1984-96)

Bophuthatswana Defence Force Medal for Distinguished Gallantry (1982-94)
    Bophuthatswana Defence Force State President's Medal (1990-1994)

Ciskei Police Order of Ntaba kaNdoda (NKN) (1981-1995/1981-1994)

Ciskei Police CP Star (Cross) for Distinguished Leadership (SPDE) (1981-1995)
    Ciskei Police CP Star for Distinguished Service (SPME) (1981-1995/1981-1994)

Ciskei Defence Force Pro Merito Medal (PMM)

Ciskei Defence Force CDF Long Service Medal (1988-1994) – 20 years

Ciskei Prisons Service Gallantry Cross (PGC) (1988-94)

Ciskei Prisons Service Star for Excellence (PSE) (1988-94/1988-1996)

Ciskei Prisons Service Star for Distinction (PSD) (1988-94/1988-1996)

Ciskei Prisons Service Star for Merit (PSM) (1988-94/1988-1996)

Ciskei Prisons Service Medal for Merit (1988-94/1988-1996)

Ciskei Prisons Service Commendation Medal (1988-94/1988-1996)

Ciskei Prisons Service Medal for Faithful Service (1988-94/1988-1996) - 30 years service.

Ciskei Prisons Service Medal for Faithful Service (1988-94/1988-1996) - 20 years service.

Ciskei Prisons Service Medal for Faithful Service (1988-94/1988-1996) - 10 years service.

KwaNdebele Police KNP Gallantry Cross (Gold)

KwaNdebele Police KNP Gallantry Cross (Silver)

KwaNdebele Police KNP Order for Distinguished Leadership (1987-1995)

KwaNdebele Police KNP Medal for Distinguished Silver (1987-1995)

KwaNdebele Police Commendation Medal

Kwazulu Police KZP Star for Distinguished Leadership (SED) (c1982-1995)

Kwazulu Police King's Cross for Bravery (c1982-1995)

Kwazulu Correctional Services KZCS Star of Excellence (SPA) (1990-94/1991-96)

Kwazulu Correctional Services KZCS Cross for Gallantry (CPV ??) (1990-94/1990-1996)

Kwazulu Correctional Services KZCS Star for Distinction (SPO) (1990-94/1990-1996)

Kwazulu Correctional Services KZCS Star for Merit – Officers (SPM) (1990-94/1990-1996)

Kwazulu Correctional Services KZCS Medal for Faithful Service: 30 Years (1990-94/1990-1996)

Lebowa Police LP Cross for Gallantry (1990-1995)

Lebowa Police LP Star for Distinguished Leadership (1990-1995)

Lebowa Police LP Star for Outstanding Service (1990-1995)

Lebowa Police LP Establishment Medal (c1990)
    Transkei Police TP Decoration for Distinguished Service (c1985-1995)

Transkei Police TP Cross for Bravery (CT) (1975-c1986)

Transkei Police TP Gallantry Cross (c1985-1995)

Transkei Police TP Medal for Combating Terrorism (c1985-1994)

Transkei Police TP Faithful Service Medal (35 Years) (1985-94) (c1985-1995)
    Transkei Police TP Medal for Faithful Service: Silver (1976-85) (1975-1985) - 30 years service.

Transkei Police TP Faithful Service Medal (20 years) (1985-94) (c1986-1995)
    Transkei Prison Service TPS Star for Excellence (c1988-1996)

Transkei Prison Service TPS Gallantry Cross (c1988-1996)

Transkei Prison Service TPS Star for Distinction (c1988-1996)

Transkei Prison Service TPS Medal for Faithful Service (1988-94) (c1988-1996) - 35 years

Transkei Prison Service TPS Medal for Faithful Service: Silver (1982-87) (c1982-1987)
    For 30 years service.

Transkei Prison Service TPS Medal for Faithful Service (30 Years) (1988-94) (c1988-1996)
    For 30 years service.

Transkei Prison Service TPS Medal for Faithful Service (20 Years) (1988-94) (c1988-1996)
    For 20 years service.

Venda National Force VNF Gallantry Cross (PCF) (1985) (1979-1985) - gold
    Venda National Force VNF Gallantry Cross (PCF) (1985) (1979-1985) - silver
    Venda Police VP Distinguished Service Medal

Venda Police VP Outstanding Service Medal

Venda Prisons Service VPS Gallantry Cross (CPV) – Gold (1985-1996)

Venda Prisons Service VPS Gallantry Cross (CPF) - Silver (1985-1996)

Venda Prisons Service VPS Distinguished Service Medal: Gold (SPO) (1985-1996)

Venda Prisons Service VPS Distinguished Service Medal: Silver (SPM) (1985-1996)

Venda Prisons Service VPS Long Service Medal: Gold (1985-1996) - 30 years faithful service.

Venda Prisons Service VPS Long Service Medal: Silver (1985-1996)-20 years faithful service.

Any pictures (front & back / obverse & reverse) would be welcome.

Also any information on the ribbons of the Prison medals (very hard to find).

NOTE: Some of the above medals were never issued, however they may have been produced and therefor do exist !!

With many thanks, Marcon1.