News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An Austro-Hunagrian nurse

Ulsterman

Richard V,

Thanks for the great pictures. The large white badge with the red cross in the centre of the eagle is similar to the one I started this post about but not the same. It is probably a later issue badge than the one worn by your Grandmother. The pictures are really great for showing the uniforms of the nurses and their badges/awards in wear.

In the German Red Cross, the badges worn at the neck could indicatedifferent levels in the nursing profession. Was it the same in Austri/Hungary during WWI?

Regards,

Gordon

Guest Rick Research

Ach... ladies wearing ribbbbbbbon barrrrrrrrrrs. :love::love::love:

I'd have never guessed from the tones of the photo that the cap/uniform would be dark blue-- looks like pike-gray in the photos. Maybe blue was a more formal uniform?

:cheers:

Gordon, I don't know about the neck badges indicating any type of level. The one that I received from my Grandmother is plain with no lettering of any type other than the word Wien at the bottom. I assume these badges only indicated something of the group to which they were attached. All I have seen look similar. Sadly she passed away before I developed my intense interest in military things so I was never able to have her provide me with information regarding the medals or badges.

Ed, these were passed to my mother initially who left them with a "professional" framing service to be mounted. They looked wonderful but one badge had, over time, fogged the glass in front of it. When she gave them to me, I elected to remove the items from the frame to clean the glass and mount some additional items I had received from my grandfather in the same shadow box. To my horror the "professional framers had glued all the badges to the back of the shadow box! It took a long time and painstaking effort to remove the concrete hard epoxy like resin from the medals and ribbons. I then mounted everything to the cloth backing using pins and cotton thread. I was appalled at what I discovered was done by the framers.

Richard V

Edited by Richard V

Rick, I'm terrible with colors and their description. As I understand the hat is from her "everyday" work uniform. It does appear to be a dark bluish gray. I'll take a closer look at it when I get home tonight as I am currently at work but I think the photo pretty accurately shows the true color.

Richard V

• 1 year later...

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2009/post-950-125043066672.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2009/post-950-125043076009.jpg

This picture is of a cropped postcard in my possession, I think this might be a film star but the badge is probably genuine.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Iver,

Interesting badge. A question, my understanding of this badge was that it was for a volunteer ambulance driver in the Hungarian Red Cross. Am I correct in this information?

Kevin,

Nice picture of a Hungarian Nurse. From the date on the card probably WWII but I have never been able to find dates for when the the badge at her throat was worn. I think you are correct about this card being for a film star. There doesn't appear to be anything on the card to indicate her name. The name of the film might be "VIRAG" (at a guess) from the first word in the first line with the beginning cut off.

Regards,

Godon