News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Federal Merit Cross

Hi all,

My beloved wife :love: just got me this and I couldn't wait to share. :jumping: Also wondered if anyone could tell me where I might be able to purchase a case and suspension loop (looks like it's missing the one to attach it to it's neck ribbon? :unsure:

I'll add in my other levels of this award a bit later tonight after work as I have to run. I'll keep my fingers crossed that one of my fellow members can point me in the right direction on the case and suspension loop. :jumping:

Thanks, :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman

The second class was originally part of the collection of OMSA member Eric Ludvigsen who passed away on November 28, 2004.

Well... hopefully one of these days I can get the medal and at least one of the higher sets with the breast star, etc., in the case. But for now I'd dearly love to be able to get the case, etc. for the neck Order and also a case for the first class. Again if any of you can point me in the right direction on those I'd deeply appreciate it. :beer:

Very nice!

I would think that the official Bundeswehr shop (http://www.lhd-shop.de) has matching cases and suspension loops.

I dont think so.

The case must be from Juncker. It is easyer to buy a komplet set as a suspension loop solo.

Under this link, yuo can show my little collection. http://www.ordensmuseum.de/bvo/index.htm

Red

Dan,

Nice crosses. I have to echo the previous comment that it might be easier to buy a complete set than just the suspension loops. Have you tried Stephans site? He sometimes ahs some odd stuff like this for sale. Empty cases rarely come up for sale but I would be happy with an uncased cross like yours!

Regards,

Gordon

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Well, good news! I've finally managed to purchase a case for the neck Order. Picked it up for a song just this afternoon in fact. :jumping:

I'm hoping eventually to be able to find one of the wider more squared off presentation cases for it as that's my preference but for now this will certainly do the trick. Now I'm on the hunt for a case for my 1st class and still trying to locate the suspension loop for the neck Order.

But I'm thrilled to finally be moving in the right direction on these again. :jumping::beer: As soon as the case arrives I'll pop in the old girl and take some new pics. :jumping:

Edited by Hauptman

Hi all,

Well, good news! I've finally managed to purchase a case for the neck Order. Picked it up for a song just this afternoon in fact. :jumping:

The first case you show?n is not for the neck order. For more Information look at my website.

Red

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Okay, here are the pics of the case I got. Agreed it's definitely not for the neck Order. :( So I'm once again back on the hunt for one for that. Looks pretty much identical to my 2nd class case... but appears the base was taken out and replaced with this one:

Black flocking covering what appears to be two pieces of hard stock cardboard... leaving a section at the top for a ribbon the width of a neck Order ribbon, and the cutout for the award itself... which in this case is just off from an IC 2nd... definitely nothing bigger than that.

Here's the interior of the case itself:

It's got a small strip of cardstock material in a matching color to the rest of the interior base... not sure what it's purpose is.

At this point if I returned it I'd be out the shipping both ways which is overseas to England and I got it so cheap I'm guessing it's better to just hang onto it and perhaps down the road it'll come in handy. Many thanks to Red for calling this one... and also to Gordon for some behind the scenes help. :beer:

Sigh... back to the hunt. ;)

Dan,

Definetly a case worth keeping. Only the early cases are marked with the makers name. Someday you will find out what goes in it! Here is another view of the interior of the case with the rest of the things associated with this award that you might want to look out for.

Cheers,

Gordon

Dan,

Definetly a case worth keeping. Only the early cases are marked with the makers name. Someday you will find out what goes in it! Here is another view of the interior of the case with the rest of the things associated with this award that you might want to look out for.

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for you help on this. And yes, I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for any of the miniatures, ribbon bars, button hole ribbon devices, etc. In fact I'm assuming the smaller device I got with my neck Order is for a button hole ribbon but is missing the ribbon itself. At least that's my guess.

Is that book specifically on the Merit Crosses or on West German awards in general or what? Are they still available and for roughly how much? I'd be thrilled if I could just get a decent reference on the Merit Cross series from the medal on up with pics that good. In English would be ideal but at this point anything would be an improvement over what I have. But that's a great pic and much appreciated!!!! :jumping::jumping:

Hoping one of these days to be able to find the rest of what I need as well as more of the accessories, the medal and dream of dreams some of the higher classes with the breast stars... although those are definitely not cheap! :speechless1:

Mucho thanks my friend! :beer:

Dan,

The book covers all Federal and individual state awards. It comes with a booklet giving current prices at the time of printing. I have the second issue and the third issue is now in stores. It would cost around $100.00 new but I got mine on ebay for less. The problem with that is the vendor sold the two books separately. I'd try ABEBOOKS.COM for a used volume if you decided to get a copy.

Regards,

Gordon

How rarely are these awards issued? Are they fairly commonly seen on active duty German members?

It is a general award for merit, not by any means rerstricted to the military. Somewhere there is, I recall, a website with lists of recipients.

Paul R,

This series of awards appears in the ribbon bars of many Bundeswehr General officers. Here is an example that was on the mess dress tunic of a two star general recently sold on ebay.de. Sorry that I can not make the picture any bigger. If I do it gets too fuzzy to use at all.

Regards,

Edited by Gordon Craig