News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The story of a German pilot of WWI

• Replies 166
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

Hi All,

A German relative of me (my father's cousin) wrote for me about 2 months ago. He said that he has a surprise for me, and say that I wait the post man.

Few minutes ago I received a little packet, inside (as this cousin inform me) Carl Holler's EKII!!!

I needed to share the good news with you.

Otto :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Edited by Rendsburg

Hi All,

A German relative of me (my father's cousin) wrote for me about 2 months ago. He said that he has a surprise for me, and say that I wait the post man.

Few minutes ago I received a little packet, inside (as this cousin inform me) Carl Holler's EKII!!!

I needed to share the good news with you.

Otto :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Otto,

That's wonderful!!!! :jumping::jumping:

:beer:

Otto,

It is great how the collecting community and your extended family have come together to keep bringing more pieces to light for you. Starting with a small grouping and ending up with what you have now, is just fantastic. Keep us posted. And by the way, if you have not found any, I have a pair of enlisted flieger straps I may be able to be talked out of. :rolleyes: "Winged Prop" over "1" couple of small nips, nothing that really shows. Other than that in super condition with great embroidery (private purchase style).

Dan Murphy

• 2 months later...

As promised:

I will try now, to explain in the best possible way as it began my interest for Carl Holler. When I was still child, my grandfather Johannes Wilhelm August Kruse, son of Johannes Kruse and of Mary Holler (Mimi, the sister of Carl Holler), told me Niels Sornsen's history (artistic name of Carl Holler), your uncle singer. Surprisingly my grandfather didn't count that he had been pilot in WWI. The years (many) passed and I finished forgetting about Carl Holler. In the year of 2004, separating some books powdered in the attic of my mother's house, I found a small genealogical book regarding the Holler's family, written by Carl Holler. In one of the pages, I discovered that Carl Holler, besides singer, had been pilot during WWI. I was happy and curious and immediately I began to seek information in the internet. In one of the researches, I found the site of a forum (theaerodrome) and I asked for help. Immediately I began to receive information on Carl Holler. One of the members (Taz, that some of you know well) told me that he had a friend, Gary Perkins, a former-pilot of USAF, that had served in England in the eighties, that possessed some items belonged to Carl Holler that he had bought when it had been parked in England. From this moment, I began to change emails with him. He ordered me pictures of the items (awards, medals, pictures, papers and other items) that had belonged to Carl Holler. I was very excited and I asked to him that, if some day he intended to sell these items, it informs me .Some weeks later, he sent to me an email saying that it was recuperating an old Ford, and he would need to do some money. He offered me then the collection. I was very happy, but at the same time very nervous. I didn't have the necessary money for the purchase on that moment. Commenting on the subject in another forum (Pickelhaubes), which was not my surprise when one of the members offered to buy the collection saying that I could pay later. I won't say the name of that member for request of him, but I want him to know one more time, that I will never forget the help and the friendship that he demonstrated.

Yes guys, miracles exist!

Otto :cheers:

Great, great. It is a nice story, thanks for sharing and I am really glad to know that your dream came true and that friends still exist (good people).

Cheers

Edgar

:beer:

• 3 months later...