News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some help to identify a badge please

Hello Everyone,

I picked up this little badge while I was Christmas shopping (that's my story and I'm sticking to it :rolleyes: ) and in trying to research it I drew a blank. I found one like it but the background enamel was red while this one is blue. The tag on the item at the antiques mall (remember, I was Christmas shopping if asked) said it was a 1st Class Technical Support Officer's badge and of course it was "RARE" as was everything in the case. :lol:

The badge measures 1 3/4 inches (45 mm) tall and 1 1/4 inches (30 mm) wide. This "RARE" item set me back a whole $10.00 so I thought I'd take a chance it was authentic and not a fantacy item. The screw device has the words IKOM and ZAGREB on it. These same words are on a small hat badge I purchased at the same time. I'll post that later as I have a couple of questions about that as well.

Sorry if these seem like obvious questions, I am a novice at USSR items.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Cheers

Brian

Guest Rick Research

That certainly seems like a 1960s pattern Soviet "Best" qualification badge for enlisted ranks, but much nicer than the usual quality for those. Given the Yugoslav maker, it may well be from there-- though I cannot imagine the independent Tito government aping Moscow's model in ANYTHING.

Will shift it over to Yugoslav to see if they can help you.

That certainly seems like a 1960s pattern Soviet "Best" qualification badge for enlisted ranks, but much nicer than the usual quality for those. Given the Yugoslav maker, it may well be from there-- though I cannot imagine the independent Tito government aping Moscow's model in ANYTHING.

Will shift it over to Yugoslav to see if they can help you.

Thanks again Rick.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Hello fellows,

In doing some more research I found a dealer in Russia who had some of thses badges. He didn't have the #1 badge but has #s 2 and 3 as well as one with an "M" on it. I have purchased these three badges and they are on their way to me, I'll post the lot as soon as they arrive.

The dealer says that they are Russian Army classification badges from the 1970s and that the one with the "M" on it stands for "Master" which I would think would be the higest qualification level. Now I need to find out what the blue background signifies. One other one I saw with a red background was advertised by another dealer as Internal Affairs Ministry (MVD).

Could it be that the blue simply stands for the army and not a specific trade in the armed forces?

Brian

I just think the screwnut is not original to the badge...

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi Christophe,

It would appear that you may very well be correct as I have located three more badges in Russia and purchased them late last night.

I will check the screwnut on the three I have just ordered as soon as they arrive. The dealer says these are Russian from the 1970's (see my post just before this one).

Brian