News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting Civil War Era Eagle?

buellmeister

Gents,

I happened upon this little framed Eagle which looks to be of or about the Civil War Era. It is attached to the dark backing and looks to be covered in Gold leaf. It first glance, I didn't know if it was a Shako plate but upon further inspection, it looked to be more fragile for that purpose. The condition seems good although it has a small area where the Gold looks as though it has flaked off. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Could it be a decorative item? The dimensions are about 6 inches x 4 inches. None the less, it shall find a place on my office wall. I thank you all in advance who can help with further details.

Kind Regards,

Joel

Edited by buellmeister

Guest Rick Research

Is it made out of tin, or copper? I don't see any holes for sewing on, so does it have loops on back for attaching?

Looks to me like a pre-Civil War bell-shaped (flared up around the top) 1830s shako eagle, most likely local militia but could well be U.S. pattern.

Rick and Alex,

Thanks go out to you both.

Rick, I haven't dared to peel it up to look underneath... It may help us solve the mystery though. The metal looks as though it is copper because of the oxidation. Any sense of value for this item? It most likely will go on my wall but, the possibility always presents itself it seems, for trading.... :rolleyes: Thank you again!

Regards,

Joel

Guest Rick Research

It all depends on how wealthy the organization was that used this, but not being brass puts it well before the Civil War era.

From what I've seen around my neck of the woods, tin (usually japanned with a lacquer paint job-- as in fire department hat shields) came first (1790s+), then copper(1820s+), then brass(1850s+). Tin and copper were local but brass was just too expensive back then.

My own hometown militia used a Phyrgian "freed slaves" cap shape stretched out like a Santa Claus hat in japanned tin with the state arms painted on front, made with little holes to sew on and off civilian farmers' hats. That's why I think yours is later, to a fancier outfit with actual uniforms and all. Oooooooooooo.

Find out what it is first before trying to do anything to it. I thought maybe the back would just lift off and you could see what it was. But if some dummy has epoxied it down full length, that could crack it to bits trying to budge it.

• 2 weeks later...

It can't be a Regular Army cap eagle, way too large - it had to be more or less 3in-wide - , so if intended for an headgear, it is probaly Militia.

The best reference (if not definitive) is "American Military Headgear Insignia", by J. Duncan Campbell and Michael J. O?Donnell. O?Donnell Publications, 2004.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Eric