News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ships , anyone?

Don't know how are called these documents in English, but here is a Flemish certificate to someone, for passing the equator in 1947.

A commoun ritual on all ships for a long time. I had my parents certificate from 1958 during theyre first trip to Belgian Congo.

Thise one  was a fleemarket find and came a long with cvile marching order dating from oct.1945.

cheer

|<ris

zetel_expo_evenaar_doop_hulzen_bouffioux

zetel_expo_evenaar_doop_hulzen_bouffioux

• Replies 158
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ceremony in English is always called crossing the line.   Basically it goes back to the very early days of sailing ships crossing the Equator.  All crew members - excluding officers - who were crossing for the first time - were entertained the day previously by crew who had.  On the day of the crossing the 'newbies' were painted, ridiculed, made to eat unpleasant food and generally had a very unpleasant day.  This was supervised by 'King Neptune' and his crew who had come on board early in the morning.

Passenger ships of today still have the ceremony  -  but, very toned down.   Mervyn

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Here is the passengers list of the people on the Baudouinville in 1959.

The list mentions my fathers and mothers name, I was there too in a way......, my mum being pregnant at the time.

The story didn't last long, my mum had to returrn before the end of the year,because of the troubles in Congo ....december is when I was born.

Some of the people on the list are still friends with my parents, and they see each other on a regular base.

passgiers lijst belg met ok en britse medaille 002.JPG

passgiers lijst belg met ok en britse medaille 001.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The British passenger liner Orama was built at Vickers-Armstrong, Barrow-in-Furness in 1924 for the Orient Line with accommodation for 1,700 passengers. Converted to a troopship in 1940, and was used to transport the British Expeditionary Force to Norway following the German Invasion. On the 8th June 1940, she was sunk 300 miles West of Narvik, by the German High Seas Fleet comprising SCHARNHORST, GNEISENAU and ADMIRAL HIPPER. The Orama lost 19 killed and 280 taken prisoner, there were heavy losses on the other allied ships also sunk, the aircraft carrier HMS GLORIOUS, two destroyers H.M.S. Ardent and H.M.S. Acasta, the trawler "Juniper" and the oil tanker "Oil Pioneer".

img469.jpg

one of new zealands most famous ship wrecks the rms Niagara sunk by a mine laid by the german raider orion in june 1940 off the northland coast the only casualty the ships cat but carrying 8 tons of gold and half of the new zealands army ammunition sank in 400 ft of water the gold was recovered in a daring salvage for the time 5 bars still remain I have been fishing over the site and oil still appears on the surface

p-7297-atl.jpg

paintingniagop.jpg

300px-Niagara.gif

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...

One of the most remarkable German seafarers was Count Felix Luckner, a much decorated naval officer and hero from the Great War, with a fine nose for self promotion. In the mid 1920s he started a campaign to raise money, to buy a sailing ship for visiting the USA on a private good-will mission; this trip lasted from 19-09-1926 until 19-04-1928.

Below the man and his sailing vessel Vaterland, a four mast gaff schooner. Also a fund raising postcard for the project and a photo of Luckner and his wife at elder age, he died in 1966 at the age of 84.

RM GL - 006 - Vaterland.jpg

RM GL - 007 - Vaterland Spende.jpg

Luckner - 006.jpg

Luckner - 001.jpg

Edited by Odulf

felix luckner is a bit of a legend in new Zealand maritime history captured in the pacific during ww1 while raiding on  his ship the seeadler  spent some time as a pow in new Zealand which included a daring escape and recapture pics of the seeadler, felix during ww1 and the ships flag which is on display in the Auckland war museum

220px-SMSSeeadlerFront.png

Luckner.png

Felixvonluckergermanensign.jpg

Impressive indeed!

|<

I have been searching for a drawing table for quiet some time, and found recently thise one.

According to the seller, it would have been on a ship originaly! 

But I can't find any second one on the net; so if you ever come accross one, please let me know.

vondsten tekentafel en kaders 013.JPG

vondsten tekentafel en kaders 014.JPG

vondsten tekentafel en kaders 015.JPG

• 1 month later...

Here is a nice small ship steering wheel.

It is well made and quiet heavy, it could have been in use or ment to be used to my opinion.

Never the less, an intresting object to add to my small marine displays.

melk kit politie helmen 012.JPG

melk kit politie helmen 015.JPG

melk kit politie helmen 018.JPG

Thanks for showing the wheel, but I like the sailor's hat even better! Since 1 August 1890, the red piping and silver lettering of the tally indicate Torpedo-Abteilung. A nice display all together.

A post card of a ship, which is not a ship, but a look-a-like. Home of the 2. Marine SA Standarte in Lauenhain (1930s)

img475.jpg

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...