News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Post-1947 Indian Groups

Ed_Haynes

I have a particular fondness for the Videsh Seva (too?). The problem is that there are at least 54 clasps, most with award numbers under thirty (and most are still with serving recipients).

Beyond the ones I have shown above

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2450&st=1

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2450&st=10

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2450&st=11

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2450&st=15

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2450&st=16

I do have some others, but many are naked (not properly dressed in ribbons) and not fit for public display.

I will dig out some others and post them here.

On Videsh Seva, you may want to glance at: http://sagongs.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=70

I have a 9th Dogra group - Rakhsha Medal, Videsh Seva Medal "UAR", UNEF Medal.

I also have a lone Videsh Seva bar Congo to the 3/1 Gorkha Rifles (another Param Vir Chakra unit).

• 1 month later...

No. 714 Constable Manphool Singh, Uttar Pradesh Police

President's Police and Fire Services Medal for Gallantry, named: "Manphool Singh, Constable No. 714, U.P.".

Unusual in that some of the gilt remains; almost always gone. So far, recommendation unlocated; as these are undated they are hard to trace. Probably for chasing dacoits through the ravines?

6780421 Sepoy/Generel Duties Abuulance Joseph Phillips D'Cruz, V.S.M.III, Army Medical Corps

Vishisht Seva Medal, Class III, named: "6780421 SEP/GDA J. P. D'CRUZ, A.M.C. - 1963".

The award citation (Not. No. 6-Pres/63) is a not very useful "For distinguished service of a high order" to Joseph Phillips D'Cruz. Currently believed to be for the Goa Operations.

95579 Rifleman Ujir Mall, 2/9th Gurkha Rifles

1- The Indian Independence Medal, 1947 - 96579 RFN. UJIR MALL, 9 G.R.

2- 1939-45 Star - 95579 RFN. UJIR MALL, 9 G.R.

3- Pacific Star - 95779 RFN. UJIRMALL, 9 G. R.

4- The War Medal, 1939-45 - 95579 RFN. UJIRMALL, 9 G.R.

Captured in Singapore, February 1942. He is shown as missing in the POW rolls (but with regt. # 95379), but almost surely became a POW. The battalion is reported to have gone only about 10% INA. Battalion re-raised 1 June 1946, of which he was apparently a part.

55829 R Petty Officer Topass Sohan Lal, Indian Navy

Not super uncommon (except in so far as all naval groups are not common), but a nice group.

1- Poorvi Star - 55820 TOP IIS. LAL, I.N.

2- Sangram Medal - 55820 TOP II S. LAL, I.N.

3- 25th Independence - 55820 TOP-II. S. LAL, I.N.

4- 20-Year - 55820 R PO TOP. S. LAL, IN

5- 9-Year - 55829 R PO TOP SOHAN LAL, IN

Dipped, unfortunately, but that "stylish" abomination is common.

• 5 months later...

Just a couple of new ones (updated with a nice scan!):

1188876 Lance-Naik Joginder Singh, Artillery

1- Wound Medal - 1188876 L/NK JOGINDER SINGH ARTY

2- Paschimi Star - 1188876 L/NK JOGINDER SINGH ARTY

3- Raksha Medal - 1188876 GNR JOGINDER SINGH ARTY

4- Sangram Medal - 1188876 L/NK JOGINDER SINGH ARTY

5- Sainya Seva Medal, "Bengal-Assam" - 1188876 L/NK J. SINGH ARTY

6- 25th Independnce Anniversary - 1188876 GNR JOGINDER SINGH ARTY

7- Nine Year Service - 1188876 GNR JOGINDER SINGH ARTY

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 1 month later...

Lance-Havildar S. Singh, Bombay Engineer Group

1- Poorvi Star - 1525196 SPR S SINGH BOMBAY ENGR GP

2- Raksha Medal - 1525196 SPR S SINGH BOMBAY ENGR GP

3- Sangram Medal - 1525196 SPR S SINGH

4- Sainya Seva Medal, "Jammu Kashmir" - 1527127 HAV. RAJARAM, BOMBAY E. G. (Clearly, he lifted someone else's medal!)

5- 25th Independence Medal - 1525196 SPR S SINGH BEG

6- 20 Year - 1525196 L-HAV. S SINGH BOMBAY E. G.

7- 9 Year - 1525196 SPR S SINGH BOMBAY ENGR GP

JC 70892 Subadar Khem Singh, Guards

1- 1947 GSM "Goa 1961" - 13653276 GDSM. KHEM SINGH, GUARDS.

2- Raksha Medal - 13653276 NK. KHEM SINGH, GUARDS.

3- Sangram Medal - JC 70892 NB. SUB ADJT KHEM SINGH GDS

4- Sainya Seva Medal "Himalaya" - 13653276 HAV. KHEM SINGH, GUARDS.

4- 25th Independence Anniversary - JC 70892 SUB KHEM SINGH GUARDS

5- 20 Year - JC 70892 SUB KHEM SINGH GUARDS

6- 9 Year - 13653276 CHM. KHEM SINGH, GUARDS.

• 2 weeks later...

An odd, idiosyncratic, and quite original (= "wrong") mounting, but also with one unusual item and one incredibly rare item.

1233117 Havildar (RHR?) Sohan Lal, Artillery

1- Sangram Medal - 1233117 GNR SOHAN LAL ARTY

2- Samanya Seva Medal, "Nathula-Chola 1967" - 1233117 GNR SOHAN LAL ARTY - probably THE rarest GSM clasp, more uncommon than "Overseas Korea"?

3- Long Service and Good Conduct Medal - 1233117 HAV SOHAN LAL ARTY - while mounted blissfully out of order, it actually has the right ribbon

4- Sainya Seva Medal, "Jammu-Kashmir" - 1233117 GNR SOHAN LAL ARTY

5- 25th Independence - 1233117 GNR SOHAN LAL ARTY

6- 20 Year - 1233117 RHR [?] SOHAN LAL ARTY

7- 9 Year - 1233117 GNR SOHAN LAL ARTY

:D

• 1 month later...

Another single:

4330615 Naik Lal Buanga Lushai, SM, 2nd Battalion, Assam Regiment

Sena Medal by Not. No. 84-Pres./74, 17 June 1971, Gazette of India, pt. 1 sect. 1, 29 June 1974, p. 687, #81:

"During the operations in 1971, Naik Lal Buanga Lubhai as a Section Commander in a company which occupied a position in the Western Sector, successfully engaged the enemy and killed seven other ranks. He was responsible for bringing one enemy dead body, one Light Machine Gun with six magazines, one rifle and two hand grenades.

"In this action Naik Lal Buanga Lubhai displayed courage and leadership."

Medal named: 4336015 NK. LALBHANGA LUSHAI, ASSAM

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 3 months later...

An as yet badly broken group, recently reunited through DNW at considerable price:

24075 Sepou Babu Singh, VrC, MM, 1st Battalion, Sikh Regiment

Borm 8 April 1921, v. Natt, Sangrur Dist., Punjab

Father Sh Mangal Singh

Enrolled 8 April 1942

Religion Sikh

M.M.: 24075. SEPOY. BABU SINGH SIKH R.

London Gazette 1 November 1945. The orginal recommendation for an immediate MM award states:

"At Abya on the night of 3-4 July 1945, Sepoy Babu Singh was a member of an isolated Platoon in Satthwagyon village, which was heavily attacked throughout the night by approximately 150 enemy. All communications with the Battalion had failed and the position of the Platoon was desperate, as by 0600 hours in the morning only ten rounds of ammunition per man remained.

"Sepoy Babu Singh volunteered to take a message to the Battalion some three miles away. To do this, with an interpreter, he divested himself of his clothes and donned a loin cloth. Then, completely submerged, the two men crawled down a nullah out of the position, and through the encircling enemy. They mingled with the local inhabitants who were being cleared by the Japanese, and openly walked past, and within two feet of two Japanese sentries. Once clear of the village, the two men ran for three miles over flooded paddy fields, bearing a written message, to the Battalion position. Thereafter, they led a relieving company back to a position where they could attack the Japanese from a flank, and so relieve the hard-pressed platoon. The gallantry and devotion to duty of these two men was instrumental in saving the Platoon, as owing to the confused situation it was not realised that the Platoon was heavily engaged."

Vr.C.: 24075 SEP. BABU SINGH, 1 BN., SIKH R.-7 NOV 1947

Even the new (3rd) edition of Gandhi's book does not include a recommendation for his Vir Chakra. Need to get it!

Unfortunately, the MM was accompanied (though, blissfully, not mounted with) fraudulent ("restored") WWII campaign medals. These have gone to the "junk box", but his MM is now happily back together with his VrC. Now, where are the others . . . ???

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 5 weeks later...

Samar Seva Star was issued to all branches. We have never been able to locate solid service-specific numbers.

What is the full naming? "CT" rings no bells and seems quite odd. Can you actually post a scan of the naming?

Yep, "710 CT. BALKISHAN, I.A.F.". An odd rank, support role (what the Brits used to call a "follower"), and as single-named, probably low caste status. A very off rank on which I am drawing a total blank. A nice one, 100% OK. Shall bounce it off a friend who knows everything IAF.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

The response from the seller when I asked him...

....Hi Larry,

i would think the CT would mean constable.

As to what exactly what a constable would be doing within the Air force, is anyone's guess. but normally, i encounter samar seva stars named to the BORDER SECURITY FORCE and many are named to ct (constable) or HC (head constable) and of coarse other ranks...

It is probable that one of these constables was on duty related with the airforce during that time doing exactly what.... i have no idea but mostly guard duty i would assume...

This is of coarse off hand and i have done no particular reserach as such on the same..

Edited by Laurence Strong

Hello Larry,

I have no idea what CT would stand for either but I can vouch for the seller. I have purchased several medals from him in the past year both on line and privately and have been 100% satisfied. In fact the bulk of my India collection was purchased from him.

You can always reasearch the medal later, knowing that it's the real deal.

Cheers

Brian

Back to the Samar Seva Star, I have just received from An Expert (The Expert) on IAF medals:

Odd number... even odder abbreviation. My guess (pretty wild, but as good as any) is "Civil Technician", probably HAL or some such, working on deputation to the IAF. Will try and tap some other official source to see if I can come up with anything better.

Glad to know The Expert is as confused as we are.

Nice one you have there.

But I still come back to the single name which usually says "low caste".

Thanks for your help Ed :cheers:

Does that create a problem? I am not sure what to read in that.

No problem at all, but he'd be more likely, even today, to be in what the Brits used to call a "follower" position than in a command/educated/authority position. Sad, but factual.