News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Arisaka Marking

Chris Liontas

This is an interesting grouping I picked up when I was about 10 from a neighbor. The father had been stationed at in the Phillipines as an Air Force Officer, and the son had done a lot of relic hunting/buying. At the time I met him, he was more into his ?72 Charger than Japanese relics, so he gave me these items. Any idea what marking is on the bayonet? I have always wondered.

From what he told me, he bought the larger helmet, and the more beat up one he found in the jungle (this would have been about ? 1972?) along with a knee mortar. Pretty neat, as I don?t see relic items from the Pacific as much as the European Theater (could be that I just don?t look) I never got the knee mortar, but I have a Arasaka Rifle barrel around someplace ? found at the same place.

Is there any interest in relic items from the Pacific Theater? I know there is a lot of interest in German/Russian items from 1941-45, but I don?t see much on Japanese/American items for the Island Campaigns.

Hi Chris,

Your bayonet has the makings of the Nagoya arsenal on the ricasso. The Nagoya arsenal originated in 1923 and produced the Type 30 bayonet, it is not known when they ceased production though I believe they were out of commission (bombing raids?) before the end of the war.

BTW the mark is upside down in your photo.

I hope this is of some help.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Awesome! thank you!

Any idea on the two helmets? I know one is a type 90, but what is the one on the left in the photo. It does not have the brim of a T90, and it is sort of rounded rather than oval on the top. I am really not sure what it is

Awesome! thank you!

Any idea on the two helmets? I know one is a type 90, but what is the one on the left in the photo. It does not have the brim of a T90, and it is sort of rounded rather than oval on the top. I am really not sure what it is

Sorry, I never got into collecting helmets. I'm sure other members can assist you in that area.

Cheer :cheers:

Brian

• 3 months later...

helms

Chris, I just registered to this Site and this is my first reply. Re: the type 90 (on the right) note the shallow brim all around the circumference . It has the classic shape of the IJA (Army) and IJN (Navy) helmet. The larger helmet on the left in the photo is most probably designed for and worn by Civil organizations such as Firemen, Air Raid wardens IOW non-combatants. I don't presume to be an expert in Japanese helmets but I am seriously involved in studying about them so as to make up a display with a " head mannequin", helmet and liner, chinstrap, cover and netting.

TEDJR