News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Siam/Thailand, Order White Elephant when 1st type ? when 2nd type?

lilo

Hello All,

I understand that there are (at least ??) 2 types of Siam/Thailand Order of the Elephant (founded in 1861).

Please see the two photos attached below.: 1st type on the left; 2nd type on the right.

That I would like to know is in what ?Time-Frame? (from/to) can be posted the 1st type and obviously also the 2nd type.

A knowledge of when approx. the Order changed from type 1 to type 2 would help very much.

All the Best

Lilo

Edited by lilo

Hello All,

I understand that there are (at least ??) 2 types of Siam/Thailand Order of the Elephant (founded in 1861).

Please see the two photos attached below.: 1st type on the left; 2nd type on the right.

That I would like to know is in what "Time-Frame" (from/to) can be posted the 1st type and obviously also the 2nd type.

A knowledge of when approx. the Order changed from type 1 to type 2 would help very much.

All the Best

Lilo

Don't really know, but I've got one of each. The one on the right is the newer one, as I think you know, and i got mine in Bangkok in the 1980's. The other is in an old looking case that I'd guess dates back before World War II. I suppose it's conceivable that the change was made at the time of the accession of the current king Bhumibol (around 1941?), but that's just speculation. Maybe my friend in Bangkok can dig up something.

• 10 years later...
    On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2008 at 20:08, lilo said:

Hello All,

That I would like to know is in what ?Time-Frame? (from/to) can be posted the 1st type and obviously also the 2nd type.

All the Best

Lilo

Order_of_the_Elephant_1st_type.jpg

Order_of_the_Elephant_2nd_type.jpg

The type 1 are before 1909. The act of 1909 changed the appearance of the order. Both the order of the white elephand and the order of the crown to type 2.  

• 2 weeks later...