News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Second Katana added to collection

lach470

Well gang! These don't come cheap - and they're just not that easy to find anymore - but I was able to acquire this Japanese Officer's WW2 Katana and I'm psyched! I know this example is legit - it's been in at least three collections that I know of! Lakesidetrader took it in trade and I got her!

Wooden scabbard that is nicely wrapped in leather. I took the leather off for some shots but won't venture down that road too often....wood is delicate - but solid and intact. Blade is nice too. Tang is marked "Hirotada made this" (litteral translation).

I am in the process of trying to acquire more info on the maker and when/where it might have been manufactured. If any of you have any info, I'd love to hear about it!

Here are some pics for you guys! Now I have an officer's example and an NCO example. I'm pretty happy with this one!

Cheers!

Rob

Here are the two swords together....Damn...I think they look great together! :cheers:

Rob

You'll notice how the NCO sword has the alum. handle and the "blood groove" in the blade....the officer's example does not display that groove.

The handle on the officer's sword is also a full 2 inches longer than the NCO type. Here's a pic to show that ....and another pic displaying the ray skin on the officer's handle under the wrap. It's darkened over age - or perhaps was in a smoker's home. It's pretty dark!

Rob

Hahahaha! Kev man! These are the only two Japanese pieces in my entire collection! There is something about these swords - you hold one and you can just feel the power behind it! They have a lot of character - and epitomize the Japanese in WW2 (for me anyways) - the same way the German helmet does for the German soldier!

Glad you like 'em bud! I'm happy to have one of each now!

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

You made my day.

Great sword :jumping: !

The "blood grove" is actually called a "fuller" in western swords and I think it is called the "hi" when speaking about Japanese blades.

Is there any sword that feels better in the hands than the SHIN-GUNTO or the KYU-GUNTO?

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Hey Brian! Glad to have brightened your day for you! I completely agree - there is nothing that feels better in hand than one of these swords.....just makes you want to start swinging! ;)

Glad you like it buddy! Thanks for the additional info to on the blood groove!

Cheers!

Rob

- there is nothing that feels better in hand than one of these swords.....just makes you want to start swinging! ;)

Cheers!

Rob

Rob my friend, you are really starting to scare me..... LOL

Nice aquisition for sure. I know very little about these swords but do find them very interesting. Something I would like to have in my collection, just because.

By the way - I completely forgot to add a pic of the tang markings....if anyone else sees anything else in these markings...Please let me know! It's much appreciated!

Cheers!

Rob

Hello Lach470

Are you certain the signature is Hirotada saku?

Perhaps it is the scan but I read it as Tanaka Kanetada saku.

I have no information to back this up and may indeed be completely wrong, especially since each kanji can be read multipe ways.

Regards...Henry

Hello Lach470

Are you certain the signature is Hirotada saku?

Perhaps it is the scan but I read it as Tanaka Kanetada saku.

I have no information to back this up and may indeed be completely wrong, especially since each kanji can be read multipe ways.

Regards...Henry

The smith's name is definitely Tanaka and those two characters together are not read any other way. Kanetada can be read a couple of different ways but none of them are Hirotada so I suspect one of the earlier owners of the sword got their collecting notes mixed up somewhere along the way.

Beautiful sword bye the way.

Paul

Yes....Sorry...I sent the markings off to a Japanese sword collector a couple days ago and he did get back to me with KANETADA....not Hirotada....You guys are bang on the money!

Thanks for the help! It's much appreciated! I"m glad you guys like the sword...I'm still on a high! ;)

Cheers!

Rob