News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kriegsmarine fieldgrey uniforms

• Replies 89
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
    • 6 months later...

Only recently acquired these items, so happy to post and share them in this great thread for review and opinions. This all came in one ex-RCAF vet-acquired lot here in Canada. Interesting that about 95% of the stash is KM-KA-related. Here goes, along with my comments based upon my research efforts to date on the items. Comments appreciated, please.

Thanks,

John

Up first, assorted shoulder boards, collar tab and visor cap insignia:

Boards: KM Senior NCO Stabsfeldwebel/Stabsbootman; KA Senior NCO Oberfeldwebel/Aircraft Warning career (note: one pip is missing at the bottom); KA Senior NCO Feldwebel/Geschuetz-Artillery; KA (pair) Lower rating/enlisted personnel/Marineartilleriemaat/Artillery career.

Litzen for lower rating/Marine Artillery

Visor Cap insignia as used by NCOs

Next up is an Officer quality visor cap insignia set in hand-embroidered gold bullion wire thread (oxidized to dull) on dark green badge backcloth with glued-on back paper. The wreath is convex and the rosette has a cloth centre. The chincord strap has a faded gold tone to it. The collar tabs are, I believe, for officers of the Marine Artillery, this unused pair being of embroidered silver or aluminum threads and a golden bullion centre stripe.

John, not too much to comment, besides that it is a really nice lot :love:, thanks for sharing. If anytime you want to sell it let me know :rolleyes:.

Your research has been very well done. In firts lot the visor cap wreath was used by NCO and EM, and this is the second model used from 1935. In second lot you are right about the collar tabs, they are for an officer of the MA.

Next up is the best - a nearly new/hardly worn early war period tunic which, while there are no tailor or other labels or markings present, I believe was possibly a tailor-made piece for the owner - an Oberleutnant (note that one pip is clearly missing from each of the shoulder boards) of the Naval Artillery career stream in a Coastal Artillery Battalion.

The cloth is a heavy-quality cotton corduroy-like (ie. ribbed) material and the tunic is unlined. It has wide, open cuffs and a 5-button front with patch-type pockets that have a central pleat and scalloped-style flaps. There are no inside pockets. There is a centre seam in the back that ends in a slash. There are no belt buckle eyelets. The tunic buttons are all marked on the reverse with a Weimar-pattern eagle at the top; a manufacturer code below that, being "20", on the left and the letter "M" on the right, and a star at the bottom. The matte-gray finished face of the 3-piece buttons shows the navy fouled anchor on a ribbed background.

The Celleon breast eagle on dark green badge backcloth is hand-stitched to the tunic, as are the collar patches. The central gold striping of the collar patches is also Celleon, but the silver portion appears to be of a thread/cord material finely-wrapped with wire. The shoulder boards are of the slip-on variety and held-down by snap-style grommets. As mentioned above, there clearly was one pip on each of these boards, but they have been removed.

I am really looking forward to receiving comments to verify or correct my description on this tunic.

Edited by John Burchell

John, you are right, the best :love::love:, very nice tunic. This kind of fabric is very usual in summer Km fieldgrey tunic, lovely.

Are you sure that the collar tabs are hand sewn, from the pictures looks as machine done.

Edited by KM-SPAIN

Thanks, Eduardo. Please help me with this question: The officer collar tabs shown in #61 above have only one gold stripe in the centre, whereas the ones shown on the tunic have an additional gold portion at right angles on each end. What is the significance of this, please?

Thanks, Eduardo. Please help me with this question: The officer collar tabs shown in #61 above have only one gold stripe in the centre, whereas the ones shown on the tunic have an additional gold portion at right angles on each end. What is the significance of this, please?

This only depends of the maker, usualy the the cord on the chapels (the vertical one) is in aluminium or the materiel that is made the litzens but in the KA is also very usual to find them with this in golden-yello branch cord.

Here are a couple of leather belts that came with this lot.

The leather belt on the left is 5.5cm. wide, has a larger buckle with a faint golden tone to it (but is really more silver than gold) and is maker-marked with "RZM 110".

The leather belt on the right measures 4cm. wide, has a clearly gold finish and the belt is stamped "CROUPON / C.O.G. Nr.56".

I am not sure if these were belts used by the KM-KA (eg. brown vs. black) and would like to know for sure, if possible. Any idea?

Edited by John Burchell