News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Close Combat Badge in Gold

Hello All,

Can anyone help me out with this. I was wondering, what the criteria was for earning the close combat badge in Gold - Silver - Bronze. To earn the gold badge, a soldiers perfomance must probably out-strip, that of a ritter kreuz winner, which on my understanding was awarded for one act of outstanding bravery, as against many acts of bravery for gold badge. Any information is welcome.

Regards

Hello All,

Can anyone help me out with this. I was wondering, what the criteria was for earning the close combat badge in Gold - Silver - Bronze. To earn the gold badge, a soldiers perfomance must probably out-strip, that of a ritter kreuz winner, which on my understanding was awarded for one act of outstanding bravery, as against many acts of bravery for gold badge. Any information is welcome.

Regards

Bronze- 15 Combat days

Silver- 30 Combat days

Gold- 50 Combat days

Close combat days were defined as days spent close enough to the enemy to use small arms.

Hello All,

Regards

Only 98 men received the CCC in gold and the Knight's cross, I highly recommend this wonderful book " THE FACE OF COURAGE ":

LINK

Robert

Hi Alec,

Here more info from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_Combat_Clasp.

If you want to have more information, I would recommend you to buy Tony Durante's book (http://www.papjay.com/newrelease.html)

Here a debate on a German forum about the above-mentioned book:

http://www.sammlergemeinschaft-deutscherau...?threadid=14647

Close Combat Clasp

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Close Combat Clasp (German: Nahkampfspange) is a German military award instituted on November 25, 1942 for achievement in hand to hand fighting in close quarters. The Close Combat Clasp was worn above the upper left uniform pocket. The badge was die-cast and made of either Tombac or Zinc, with a slightly curved and hand centerpiece consisting of the national emblem (a German Eagle clutching the swastika) surmounting a crossed bayonet and hand grenade.

The award was bestowed in three classes.

For 15 days of combat a Bronze Class was awarded.

For 30 days of combat a Silver Class was awarded.

For 50 days of combat a Gold Class was awarded.

An exemption was made if the soldier was wounded in battle, then the criteria was reduced to 10, 20 and 40 days.

The Gold Close Combat Clasp was often regarded in higher esteem than the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross by the German infantry. Of the roughly 18 ? 20 Million soldiers of the German Wehrmacht 36,400 received the Bronze Class, 9500 the Silver Class and 633 the Gold Class.

Florian Berger (2004), Ritterkreuztr?ger mit Nahkampfspange in Gold, ISBN 3-9501307-3-X

Manfred D?rr, Die Tr?ger der Nahkampfspange in Gold, Heer-Luftwaffe-Waffen-SS 1943 - 1945 ISBN 3-7648-2585-5

Thomas M. Durante (2007), The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II, ISBN 978-90-81230-11-7

Hello Claudio,

Thanks for the C.C.B. information and web links, I'll have to make a start and look around where I can find one to buy, maybe a militaria Bourse in South Germany?

Regards

Alec