News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Original 1944 Luftwaffe Rangliste: Generals to Leutnant

On my latest trip to Berlin I came across an interesting find: An original type-written 5 volume Luftwaffe Rangliste effective as at 1 August 1944. As I only have with me the Oberleutnants and Leutnants volumes (one volume each) and the master index, I am unclear at the moment whether it contains all "combatant" branches or just Flying and Signals troops. Certainly in the case of the Leutnants all first names and dates of birth are given and with the Oberleutnants some dates of birth. It is fully indexed - the fifth volume.

Regards

Glenn

Here is a page of Oberleutnants

Guest Rick Research

Now, if I can get my pulse regulated again:

Aside from the Generals, whose biographies are total and complete, and the long ago published February 1945 Hauptleute up ONLY flying and staff (birthdates on about 1 in 20)

there is

NOTHING

"out there" on Luftwaffe officers.

ZERO.

Period references to a never published, classified 1942 "everybody" Seniority List are the only tantalizing clue we ever had in my entire collecting lifetime (more than 40 years) that there ever WERE Luftwaffe Rank Lists.

This 1944 is completely Out Of The Blue. The detail here is unhoped for:

1st names

dates of birth

hand-added promotion updates

prisoner of war status (note one POW "French prisoner" and one "American prisoner" both in 1943)

and great big "dead" stamps.

For the first time EVER, it will now be possible to have significant data on the Luftwaffe officer corps.

:jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

Perhaps "best" of all-- it is already INDEXED-- so no need for months of laboriously RETYPING to make it usable.

PLEASE

copy all these and make them available on CDs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am unclear at the moment whether it contains all "combatant" branches or just Flying and Signals troops

Scratch my last. It obviously does contain Flak Officers. It also appears to run to 1945 promotions.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

UNITS !!!!

Collecting Miracle!

I have been waiting--hoping--for this for 30 years!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

:jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

This is one of the great research finds of the last 50 years! I hope you will be in a position to share this with the collecting community through the sale of CDs. There are a lot of people (myself included!) who would love to buy a set.

This is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Actually, I always suspected this. There simply MUST have been some sort of list, somewhere on this planet, for G?ring and his chaps to keep an overview of the organisation they were running. Historians probably were - up to now - too incompetent to find it.

But our very own Glenn has done it!!! :beer::cheers::beer: (And I want one, too!!)

Guest Rick Research

Move over Indiana Jones!

Glenn is just the best Grail Finder there is. :rolleyes:

What is really rather alarming is that this obviously Top Secret list remained in MANUSCRIPT form. It was never PRINTED even then. Somebody typed it up and hand-added amendments to it.

What Glenn has found is very likely the only copy that EVER existed !!!

After 70 years of a TOTAL void of information about 1/3 of the German armed forces, Luftwaffe officer research-- impossible in the Time Before Glenn-- is now do-able! :jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

It's got almost exactly the same form as the published 1945 RL for active flying personnel:

Chris,

can you please confirm that the published list (by Absolon) is Teil A1? The list(s) I have appear to be Teil A2. I am not sure of the significance yet of the difference between A1 and A2, although I believe these all to be active officers.

Thanks

Regards

Glenn

Yes, it is A1. It says active officers of flying, flak and signals. I failed however to make a copy of the introduction which says that mainly flak officers (and others) are not in the A1 list.

Thanks Chris,

at the moment I have only the Oberleutnant and Leutnant volumes of List A2 plus the index with me. According to the index, List A2 also contains Field officers (Stabsoffiziere) and Hauptleute. I will have to wait until I look again at the first two volumes to see if I can find out the difference between Lists A1 and A2.

Regards

Glenn

The explanation is somewhere in the introduction to A1. I remember that Rick once mailed me that the Dienstaltersliste A1 lists only front officers, not home service, not technical, not ordnance, not medical, not engineering, no Beamten "soweit sie zum fliegenden bzw. springenden Personal geh?rten." Which apparently means that even flying personnel which were (E) etc. were usually not shown unless i.G. or similar.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still unclear about the exact difference between the A1 and A2 lists, so I have scanned the entire introduction to the published Luftwaffe 1945 ranklist, which seems (?) to explain the difference:

Edited by webr55