Building the perfect medal bar....

Chris Boonzaier

Here are three stages of a medal.

Left is the "Industrial age medal"... maybe never touched by human hands until awarded. Anyone who has held one will marvel the chrome, heavy stamped pieces, sharp edges and admittedly not bad finish.

Middle is the same, the keyring finish ground off the back, the chrome removed, the shapr corners and edges removed, then silver plated.

Right Using the old key ring clunker as a model, a "hand made" using a mold version with an improved hanger....

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

It is the sarajevo clasp. Back then Sarajevo was pretty much the middle point of the mess. From what I understand it was introduced (by the local French Unprofor commander) as a distinction for the troops serving in the city and outskirts.

It was on the medal when it was awarded, only when I started collecting medals again did I even begin to wonder why it was there.

It is made in the same style as the Medaille Outre Mer bars.

Best

Chris.

Hi Chris

A very worthy achievement. I am glad you finished your project and shared it with us. Thank you.

I am very impressed with the group you have here : 8 awards... (5 years service ?). Took me about 50 years to gather that many ribbons on my chest...

All this is a pleasure. Congratulations.

Et vive la L?gion NdD !

Greetings

Veteran

Nope, pre NATO.

Best

Chris

Yeah-but I thought the NATO award was back-dated for service starting in 1992 right through to 2002.

Weren't you in the airport in 92-93?

see here:

http://www.pbase.com/zidar/image/68043550

I note that it has also been given to a few war correspondents.

Edited by Ulsterman

• 7 months later...

Yeah-but I thought the NATO award was back-dated for service starting in 1992 right through to 2002.

Weren't you in the airport in 92-93?

see here:

http://www.pbase.com/zidar/image/68043550

I note that it has also been given to a few war correspondents.

Hi,

The guys in my company who did the NEXT tour qualify as they were by then under NATO command. We were not at the time.

best

Chris

Weeeeeeeeeellllllllll.....

How slow can a bureaucrat move?

Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrry slow indeed :-)

I called up today to find out the status on the award of the Croix de combattant.

I knew the criteria were met, that the papers were through....

Today the lady told me that the award proposal was finally signed and approved. They now had to issue the card of entitlement, which I should get at the beginning of next year.... slooooooooooooowwwwww.

Anyway, its no big deal, the card will land up in a binder with my other papers....but I have the medals all mounted... it just would not feel "Right" hanging them on the wall until i had the official paperwork through, signed sealed and delivered.

So.... they will gather dust in a drawer for another few months....

Still, nice to know that it is a step closer and only a formality away...