News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Compass, box and toolkit

deptfordboy

Hi Gents,

I have been away from collecting a while as work and family commitments have taken over, but a belated Happy New Year to all here. I picked up this item at a local auction last week. It came from a house clearance, and according to the auctioneer's description is a compass taken from a WW2 Japanese torpedo boat, but I take pronouncements like that with a big pinch of salt :)

It is definitely a compass, with Japanese-looking markings, and a wooden box similar to military instruments of other countries in WW2. Beyond that I haven't a clue. Both the box and the instrument are marked. The compass sits on springs, has some sort of screw adjustment on top and bottom, and lugs for securing it to something stationary. There is some sort of cylinder at the front which is empty. The box also contains a toolkit and some mysterious glass capsules.

Could anyone here please help confirm whether this is Japanese, naval and/or WW2, and help with translating the markings? It does seem to be a rare item as I couldn't find anything similar on from google searches. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Gilbert

PS - apologies for the poor photography, it's a dark art to me!

Edited by deptfordboy

Guest Rick Research

All I can read are dates. The bottom of the case where our numbers 14 and 3 are stamped says "14 year 3 month" which indeed places that in Hirohito's "Showa" reign. Can't tell if the actual device bears the same numbers (scan small and dark).

Thanks, that's helpful. So, he began his reign 1926, if you add the 14 then you get to 1941, making it just pre-WW2 (from Japan's point of view)?

Whilst not trying to excuse my snaps, the numbers are difficult to read to the eye, but on the insrtument I think they are 15 and 5 .

Cheers

G