News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Show your photos with Thuringian medals

Guest Rick Research

12 ?

OK, my best GUESS on the slimmest of possible evidence would be--

Lt dR Karl Schwarz of Landwehr Inf Rgt 12 whose GSF3bX Urkunde has been reported for 9.6.15-- NOT on the Roll.

He does NOT show on the Ernestine Rolls-- but MAYBE he got his EH3bX from Meiningen (the missing 1916-18 gap for Meiningen alone out of all the other Ernestines).

If only people wrote their names on photos!

Lt dR Willy K?hler of Res Inf Rgt 12 got his EH3bX from Altenburg on 15.8.17 but there is no White Falcon shown for him either.

Those are the ONLY infantry "12" suspects on--or known OFF--the Rolls.

I can't check the Dead Prussians while online to see whether Schwarz and K?hler were dead before the war ended-- yet another way to "eliminate" suspects. :speechless1:

Are not photo#1 and #2 the same chap?

What is the vets' badge worn on the chest in #9?

I didn't notice the resemblance before. I think you are right... It would be nice if we could make out the numbers on the boards.

• 12 years later...

Hi David

He's wearing the Third and Fourth classes of the Waldeck Order. May be he is proud to wear both medals. LIke Bavarian officers, some wore the Military Merit Order 4th class with swords and crown with their Military Merit Order 4th class with swords

Christophe

Edited by Deruelle

1 hour ago, David M said:

Why is he wearing two of the same waldeck-pyrmont medals?

Because he earned them. Within imperial collection there are basically three schools of thought.

1. All decorations belonging to the same order may be worn together (which goes for most orders/decorations)

2. All decorations belonging to the same order are allowed to be worn, if they were earned in different conflicts

3. Only one class is allowed to be worn

Now, rules were broken, after 1918 there were no people anymore to tell you you were in the wrong with the way you wore your decorations, which lead to some freaky medalbars between 1918 and 1933. In 1934 the nazi's cleaned house, banning certain orders for the newly established FEK

A great example of rule number 2 is Franz Ritter von Epp who earned three different grades of the BMVO. This was the reason he was allowed to wear all three, which he often did. Although the BMVO isn't the rarest of orders (around 41.000 awarded I believe, ofcourse a number where handed out two or three times, so the actual number is much lower) I think Epp is one of only a dozen officers with three grades.

Franz Ritter von Epp, 1938 Stock Photo: 36994325 - Alamy

Now, back to Waldeck-Pyrmont. As far as I know (more knowledgeable collectors please correct if wrong) there were no rules stating that only one grade was allowed to be worn. I also believe we have more pictures of recipients who wore both the 4th and 3rd class at the same time. Hope this helps.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Oh it was my understamding that when you get a higher grade, you hand in the lower one to the kanzlei of whatever order you got. It was mostly in the rules.

Amazing photo of this legendary officer btw!

Edited by David M

3 hours ago, David M said:

Oh it was my understamding that when you get a higher grade, you hand in the lower one to the kanzlei of whatever order you got. It was mostly in the rules.

It largely depends on the order, but I'd say that this rule would apply for almost all peacetime orders, given some exceptions.