News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mecklemburg-Strelitz, Steckkreuz 1. Klasse

Dear forumites,

I saw this cross on a German auction online webpage:

http://s206094890.online.de/shop/catalog/p...955181c32c8782f

Strelitz Steckkreuz 1. Klasse "F?r Tapferkeit" mit Herst. Godet 5,000.00 EUR :speechless1::speechless1::speechless:

Mecklenburg-Strelitz Steckkreuz 1. Klasse "F?r Tapferkeit", Die Auszeichnung der 1. Klasse wurde nur an 21 Pers?nlichkeiten verliehen (z.B. Friedrich Franz)! Hersteller Godet, Zust. I-II

I didn't know that such pieces were so valuable... :rolleyes: I would have bought the one Winkler had for sale!!! :banger:

Ciao,

Claudio

Dear forumites,

I saw this cross on a German auction online webpage:

http://s206094890.online.de/shop/catalog/p...955181c32c8782f

Strelitz Steckkreuz 1. Klasse "F?r Tapferkeit" mit Herst. Godet 5,000.00 EUR :speechless1::speechless1::speechless:

Mecklenburg-Strelitz Steckkreuz 1. Klasse "F?r Tapferkeit", Die Auszeichnung der 1. Klasse wurde nur an 21 Pers?nlichkeiten verliehen (z.B. Friedrich Franz)! Hersteller Godet, Zust. I-II

I didn't know that such pieces were so valuable... :rolleyes: I would have bought the one Winkler had for sale!!! :banger:

Ciao,

Claudio

Methinks they are a bit confused. The Kreuz f?r Auszeichnung im Kriege "F?r Tapferkeit" was only awarded to a handful of generals and royals, but that was on a ribbon. The regular folk got the Kreuz f?r Auszeichnung im Kriege "Tapfer und Treu". All of the Kreuze I. Klasse said "F?r Tapferkeit", though. Still somewhat rare - less than 420 awards - but not that rare.

The photo below shows Leutnant der Reserve Rau of Mecklenburgisches Grenadier-Reiment Nr. 89 proudly wearing his EK1 and Mecklenburg-Schwerin MVK 1st class on the left, and an as yet unidentified fellow officer, probably of II. Bataillon, wearing his EK1 and Mecklenburg-Strelitz cross on the right. The picture was probably taken during a parade held behind the Somme front in the second half of 1916.

post-192-1138227863.jpg

Oh WOW. You guys have made my day!! One of these is high on my shopping list so seeing 3 in the same thread is heaven.

Claudio, I've been drooling over that example for ages, but for 5000 Euro he can sit on the pointy bits!

Heiko and David, I'm drooling!!

Regards

Mike

What ribbon would be under the EKII?

Thanks ~Ed

Ed,

The ribbon worn by the officers in their buttonholes beneath the EK one is almost certainly for the Milit?rverdienstkreuz 2nd class of Mecklenburg-Schwerin on the left, and the Kreuz f?r Auszeichnung im Kriege of Mecklenburg-Strelitz on the right.

Both crosses were worn with the same ribbon, and were each the award bestowed before the related pinback crosses.

EK2 and Milit?rverdienstkreuz 2nd class of Mecklenburg-Schwerin:

med_gallery_192_11_9579.jpg

EK2 and Kreuz f?r Auszeichnung im Kriege of Mecklenburg-Strelitz:

med_gallery_192_11_67811.jpg

Wild Card,

That must be as rare as hens' teeth.

The only maker mark I have seen on the 1914 issue is a G for Godet. Is there any maker mark on the 1871 issue you show above?

David

I can only say that there don?t seem to be many around. Not that it means a lot, but as near as I can recall, this is the only one I have ever seen. Interestingly, Nimmegut does not even have a picture of one in his magnum opus, which tends to indicate a degree of rarity.

It appears to me (old eyes) that this cross is unmarked.

Guest Rick Research

Unfortunately, Strelitz's "Rolls" (and I use that word only because that's what they were SUPPOSED to have been :banger: ) were kept by a drunken illiterate senile escapee from a lunatic asylum, :speechless1: making it literally impossible to arrive at anything rational regarding ALL their wartime awards' recipients. I suspect VERY stongly that trying to deal with that civil-service-protected... creature... is what drove the Grand Duke to suicide in early 1918. Unless there was some sort of published "Official Gazette," it will never be possible to scrape up a list of Strelitz's World War awards (still being made as late as 1933, BTW). :o

I have seen just a :unsure: part of what were SUPPOSED to be the Rolls :speechless: and barely escaped with what remains of my sanity. :rolleyes:

Hi Guys, just to add my two pence worth, I have a 1914 2nd class example by Godet in solid silver with the reverse marking ' Fur Tapferkeit'.This was awarded only 25 times to royalty only.Godet made 36 pieces in silver. Workmanship is very much more detailed than the 'tapfer und treu' examples with lots of 'sparkly highlights'. I have never seen another one. I found it when I was doing some late night 'dealer surfing' on the internet. A certain well known American dealer had it for sale and listed it as a normal M.Strelitz war cross in silvered bronze! I could not believe this had slipped through the net and at only $190 (book value 1850 euro). The protective laquer on the medal had yellowed a little giving the appearence of silvering worn through to bronze. If any one wants a look at this piece PM me and I will send a pic. Ferg1

• 2 weeks later...

I can only say that there don?t seem to be many around. Not that it means a lot, but as near as I can recall, this is the only one I have ever seen. Interestingly, Nimmegut does not even have a picture of one in his magnum opus, which tends to indicate a degree of rarity.

It appears to me (old eyes) that this cross is unmarked.

Wild Card,

I have just found the award details in Peter Ohm-Hieronymussen's book on the Mecklenburg-Strelitz orders and decorations.

He reports that 269 crosses with the inscription "Tapfer und Treu" and 14 crosses with the inscription "F?r Tapferkeit" were awarded between 1871 and 1872. Of the crosses bearing the inscription "Tapfer und Treu", 180 were awarded in 1871 and 89 in 1872. All 14 crosses marked "F?r Tapferkeit" were awarded in 1871. The recipients of the latter 14 crosses are listed.

Your example is rare indeed.

David