News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wasserwirtschaft-uniforms and flags

In 1974, the DDR set up an oganisation called the Wasserwirtschaft to manage the water resources of the country. Under their purvue of water management came subjects such as; water supply and sanitation, waterways control, dam control, hydrology monitoring network, water management accounting, drinking water protection, flood area protection, dealing with water endangering substances etc. While this was a civilian organizations they wore uniforms patterend after the NVA land forces. Below I will post pictures of the Deputy Minister of Water Management for the DDR.

Regards,

Gordon

• 1 year later...

Paul,

The wait grows shorter. We leave Budapest for good at the end of July and should be home by mid August. By Sept/Oct. I should have unpacked at least part of my collection and can start adding pictures to some of the threads where they will prove useful.

Regards,

Gordon

• 10 months later...

Paul,

Sorry that I forgot to make the posts as I said I would. Thanks for the reminder. I took yesterday to complete my resaerch on Wasserwirtschaft caps so here it is. I'll work on the uniforms later this week.

Regards,

Gordon

Reference:Uniformeffekten der Uniformträger der DDR by Hagen Herbst

Spezialkatalog

Uniforms of the Ministerium für Umweltschutz und Wasserwirtschaft 1976 - 1990

Ill start with the hats. There appear to have been two distinct types of visor caps. The early ones were of grey wool cloth with a visor covered in the same type of cloth as was the cap body. The cap band was also the same colour as the cap body. These early caps did not have any stiffening in their body and thus had a poor looking shape. The later issue caps had a much different shape and had internal padding to maintain their shape. They also had a plastic visor not covered with the cap material. I do not know when the style of hat changed. I am basing my thoughts of two types of caps on the three visor hats that I have in my collection plus pictures I have taken from the web. My reference material does not include hats or uniforms. Just Uniformeffekten.

As with some other DDR organization these hats had different chin straps for different rank grades. I wont try to list which ranks wore which chin straps as it is far too complex. I will just divide them into different groups corresponding to the different chin straps. Ill use the reference numbers from the page in the book I have posted below;

Edited by Gordon Craig

Group 1-lower grade officials- 1976 - 77; #77-a plain black shiny plastic chin strap with button number #83-12mm silver pebbled surface. After 1978 #78-a plain matt black chin strap with button #83. Cap badge #74 was worn ca. 1976. Cap badge #75 after 1977. Prior to 1978 the State Emblem may be found in either an enamelled or polyester finish. From 1978 on the State Emblem on the cap badge had a painted finish.

Group 2-Medium grade officials A- 1976- 77; #79-dark grey woven chin strap with button #84-12mm. What is on the surface of this button in not discernable from the picture in the book other than that the surface is gold. Apparently there were some changes after 1976 as to what shoulder boards this chin strap could be worn with but for our purposes it was used for this group from 1976 until 1990. Cap badge as per above.

Group 2-Medium grade officials B- 1976 to 1990 #80a- silver - there appears to have been two slightly different materials used for these chinstraps over time but since I do not have one of these chin straps and only one is illustrated in the book it is difficult to say exactly what the difference is. In any case, they were both made of aluminum woven cords. Cap badge as for above.

The picture below is from the web. I do not have a cap like this with the aluminum cap cord.

Group 3-Higher grade officials - in effect, this group only applies to Staatssekretär and Stellvetreter des Ministers. 1976 - 77; chin strap #81 and buttons #85 - 12mm gold smooth surface buttons. After 1978, chin strap #82 with button #85 - 12mm gold pebbled surface.

Cap badge #76 is the only one mentioned for wear in this group in the reference book. I do not know if there was a cap badge without the oak leaves, but in gold, for wear by this group in 1976-77. Chin strap #81 appears to be very similar to the one worn by senior officials of this grade in the Postal Service.

Cap badges 72 and 73 were worn with the Skimütze.