News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

St.Anne

Yankee

• 5 months later...

Nick, you say Ultra Rare 4th Class to foreigners. Ultra rare in Russia but I have handled at least 5 full-sized and 2 miniatures in 20 years. They were effectively issues to replicate foreign awards, such as the Red Eagle 4th Class, MVO and other such issues, whcih under the statutes of the order of St Anne had not existed.

Paul

Nick, you say Ultra Rare 4th Class to foreigners. Ultra rare in Russia but I have handled at least 5 full-sized and 2 miniatures in 20 years. They were effectively issues to replicate foreign awards, such as the Red Eagle 4th Class, MVO and other such issues, whcih under the statutes of the order of St Anne had not existed.

Paul

What type do you mean?

First type or second type (after 1911 type) that I posted?

First type is not that rare.

But only (approximately) 80 pieces of second type were issued.

Widely distributed order?! :whistle:

Cheers,

Nick

I'm not sure if the thread on St. Anne medal 1st type, posted in the Imperial German forum, is seen here ?!

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/26972-prussian-medals-bar-with-russian-st-anne-medal/

The topic-starter definitely looks familiar ;)

What type do you mean?

First type or second type (after 1911 type) that I posted?

First type is not that rare.

But only (approximately) 80 pieces of second type were issued.

Widely distributed order?! :whistle:

Cheers,

Nick

Yes surprisingly, mind you the Brits got a fair few of the 80. One, cased which was later in an esteemed auction houses sale turned up in a south east provincial auction, another in another auction of that prestigious auction house. One in the Foerster collection Sothebys 1999, couple in Sotheby's Geneva in the 90s (both British sources) (the Foerster could be one of these), Miniature in the Roy Stevens collection of miniatures (loop damaged and test mark) another in a private collection but with undamaged loop.

Paul

Paul

Hmmm...

Looks like you don't like the word "unique"?

Ok.

Let's make it "ultra rare" or "very rare".

Or even simply "rare"...

But in this case I wonder in what category you'll place VC ...

"Common"? :whistle:

I bet you saw about 50+ (100+?) of these ...

Regards,

Nick

Paul

For the Anne 4th post 1911 I would say very rare given that it has a very high survival rate. Now were you to find a cased example with bestowal document that would be a different kettle of fish, I would say of the highest rarity (I don't like unique unless, like the Duke of Wellington's collar, there is only one example).

With British medals you have a totally different ball game because, in the main, British medals are individually named.So for example you can have a GSM Malaya an extremely common medal but named to a regiment which in which 3 were attached to another unit but named to their parent regiment, hence a common medal which is of the highest rarity (in my collection of British medals to Indians I have a few pieces which in that category are definitely unique).

As to the Victoria Cross it is not rare per se, there are many campaign medals and clasps which are considerably rarer, however with the exeption of the early ballot issues each one is unique and given the level of bravery needed to win one, hence (that and Lord A) the high prices. It is the medal that virtualy every collector of British medals, if funds were no object, would want to own.

Probably my views on rarity are a reaction to many of the German numismatic catalogues where everything that turns up infrequently is auf der grosse seltenheit (usually at least 50 lots per sale). Rarity really has three catagories, the number of examples issued, the survival rate and the frequency it either appears in commerce or collections.

I think that's my polushkas worth.

All the best,

Paul

Rarity really has three catagories, the number of examples issued, the survival rate and the frequency it either appears in commerce or collections.

Please don't forget about the fourth (and the most important one) - how often Paul Wood encounteres this or that piece :lol:

:cheers:

Nick

Edited by JapanX

I accept that I am going to encounter very rare things more frequently if they are extremely valuable than if they are not (like many things, extremely rare but the collectors are even rarer) . Also in the 1990s during the restoration cases I had the opportunity to visit many schlosses in Germany and Eastern Europe and thus was able to see things that will never apppear in sale, I even once (and that is unique) saw a collar and badge of the Serbian Order of St Lazarus and thus this can distort the rarity graph.

Paul