News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Officers with Order Pour le Merite

• 1 month later...
    • 5 months later...
    • 2 months later...

Dear people,

I want to share my photograph of Oberstleutnant Georg Sick with two other officer I dont know and my greatgrandfather in the background. I was told that he was Oberst Sick's butler or servant. I welcome any comments or info you might have in regards of this image. 

thanks

Andi

gsick.jpg

I can only place him to some place names and dates, plus he must have been with Georg Sick as his servant.

places: Carvin in August in 1916, Moorslede 6.11.1916,  Lille 14.8.1917 with the 81 infantry regiment according to text on the back of photographs.

I looked it up that and thought that places him with the 163 schleswig holsteiner regiment? Do you think so?

Andi

• 6 years later...
    • 2 weeks later...

I don’t know who this is, but this is my favorite Imperial German unit.  Notice the NSDAP early uniform.  Was a PLM winner.  And Yes the autograph is authentic.

like I said, Over the years I forgot his name, but it is one of my favorites.  If someone knows who it is, please let me know so I can write it down.644435B2-389F-46D7-A896-ABD61C6C4F9F.thumb.jpeg.f3b56e0c75fd571eb5313c3d214f920c.jpeg

2 hours ago, ostprussenmann_new said:

I don’t know who this is, but this is my favorite Imperial German unit.  Notice the NSDAP early uniform.  Was a PLM winner.  And Yes the autograph is authentic.

like I said, Over the years I forgot his name, but it is one of my favorites.  If someone knows who it is, please let me know so I can write it down.644435B2-389F-46D7-A896-ABD61C6C4F9F.thumb.jpeg.f3b56e0c75fd571eb5313c3d214f920c.jpeg

Very nice picture, but surely not "NSDAP early uniform". He became a Tannenberg-General (Charakter als General der Infanterie) of the Wehrmacht, never serving actively of course. Do you know if he was Ehrenritter oder Rechtsritter? Thanks!

Hi

He received the following order

Feuilles de chêne à la croix de chevalier de l‘ordre Pour le Mérite, le 17 juin 1918,

Croix de chevalier de l‘ordre Pour le Mérite, le 31 octobre 1917,

Croix de fer de 2e classe, en septembre 1914,

Croix de fer de 1re c lasse, en 1915,

Croix de chevalier avec épées de l‘ordre royal de la maison de Hohenzollern, le 24 mars 1917,

Croix de chevalier de l‘ordre du mérite militaire Charles Frédéric de Bade, le 13 juin 1915,

Croix de chevalier de 1re classe avec épées de l‘ordre du Lion de Zähringen, le 1er octobre 1914,

Croix de 4e classe avec couronne et épées de l‘ordre du mérite de Bavière, le 18 septembre 1914,

Croix de 4e classe de l‘ordre de l‘Aigle Rouge, le

Croix de 4e classe de l‘ordre de la Couronne, le

Croix de chevalier d‘honneur de l‘ordre de Saint Jean, le

Croix d‘honneur de l‘ordre princier de la maison de Hohenzollern, le

14 hours ago, ostprussenmann_new said:

Hello ostprussenmann_new

at first I thought this picture doesn't make sense - the date 39 and reference to a former Regiment 24 years ago. After Deruelle, mentioned his name I checked my extensive war library, (google)?

So the reason for this print/photo - was that on August 27, 1939, the so-called Tannenberg Day, he was given the character of General of the Infantry.

More or less as to what Deutschritter wrote.

As for his merits in English:

Regards

v.Perlet

Edited by v.Perlet

12 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

...........Do you know if he was Ehrenritter oder Rechtsritter? Thanks!

Hello Deutschritter,

i do not want to derail this thread - but since you forwarded the question, maybe you can

help me on this one.

If someone is already possessing a hereditary title, e.g. Freiherr then what is the point of awarding

him a Ritter? - I had noticed this on others as well - e.g. a Freiherr von Reitzenstein being awarded

a Ritter. - is it about the "price-money" that comes with it?

Otherwise isn't that as if you would award an English Lord a Sir.?

Regards

Andreas

Just now, v.Perlet said:

Hello Deutschritter,

i do not want to derail this thread - but since you forwarded the question, maybe you can

help me on this one.

If someone is already possessing a hereditary title, e.g. Freiherr then what is the point of awarding

him a Ritter? - I had noticed this on others as well - e.g. a Freiherr von Reitzenstein being awarded

a Ritter. - is it about the "price-money" that comes with it?

Otherwise isn't that as if you would award an English Lord a Sir.?

Regards

Andreas

A good question, but I have seen this before. Concerning the Ehren- or Rechtsritter, this is separate from the title of nobilty, it is instead a rank of an order of knights, in this case the Johanniter. As an example (1483): Johann Graf von Preußen, Teutonic Order, but also a Johanniter, knighted Johann Graf von Solms, Graf von Solms then knighted Johann Werner Freiherr von Zimmern, Freiherr von Zimmern then knighted Heinrich Freiherr von Stöffel, who in return knighted Johann Truchsess (der Ältere), now Ritter von Waldburg Waldburg zu Trauchburg (1438--1504), all in one evening in Jerusalem ... not much, but I am not an expert. Maybe someone else could go more into detail.

Okay I got it, it's not a Ritter awarded by a State e.g. Kingdom of Bavaria awards an MVO2KL (includes. Ritter) to Mr. so and so, but an Institution such as e.g. the Malteser order awarding it's own order (that beholds a Ritter) to someone.

Thanks regards

Andreas

Edited by v.Perlet

15 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

Very nice picture, but surely not "NSDAP early uniform". He became a Tannenberg-General (Charakter als General der Infanterie) of the Wehrmacht, never serving actively of course. Do you know if he was Ehrenritter oder Rechtsritter? Thanks!

I do not know.

17 hours ago, Deruelle said:

Generalleutnant Ernst Freiherr von Forstner

Thanks for your response and everyone   Else’s.  I will have to notecard that one for reference.