Hi Guys

What award is this? -the recipient is WW2 and Post War RAF killed in an accident in 1948- the photo is taken in 1946 so trying to work out if its a foreign/commonwealth award issued for wear by RAF airmen -he was an air gunner- Any ideas?-the IWM stated it may be a Luftwaffe WW1 award (don't think so !!!!!!!!!!!!)-it's being worn on the left hand pocket of the battledress just so you know!!!

Cheers

Perce icon_lol.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo Gents,

just a thought, and probably way off :lol: but to me it looks like an Army collar dog,

Is there any possibility he served with a army unit as a forward air controller?

and is wearing this as an unofficial insignia?

The shape is very similar in design to:

a, The Suffolk Regiment cap badge.

b, The Northumberland (Yeomanry) Hussars 1908 -1956.

Kevin in Deva.

The man in question

Surname

SMITH

Forenames/Initials

ROBERT

Rank

Sig 2B

Service

Royal Air Force

Service Number

Station

RAF Lindholme

Place of Birth/Home Town

CLYDEBANK, DUMBARTON

Date of Birth

06 August 1925

Date of Death

21 December 1948

Cemetery Name

ROSE HILL CEMETERY

Cemetery Address

DONCASTER

Grave Section

G

Grave Number

Included on Armed Forces Memorial

Yes

Included on Roll of Honour

Yes

Cheers

Perce

Yes, the 3 turret castle resembles that of the Great Seal of Gibralter, standardised at the beginning of the last century as a component of the badges of the Suffolk Regt, Northamptonshire Regt, Essex Regt & Dorsetshire Regt, but the badge itself does'nt appear to be that of any of those, or the Northunmberland Hussars which was viewed from a corner of "their" castle rather than the front.

The closest resemblance is to the cap badge of the Northants Regt, which was more of a horizontal oval & without the emblem surmounting the design.

Just something about this badge makes me wonder if it's Polish?