News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

If someone has the award number for the Crown Order commander's cross (second class), without swords, large crown type, I would appreciate the information. I just picked up one of these, and was wondering about the comparative rarity of this item.

Gentlemen,

If someone has the award number for the Crown Order commander's cross (second class), without swords, large crown type, I would appreciate the information. I just picked up one of these, and was wondering about the comparative rarity of this item.

Would you post images for our enjoyment?

Guest Rick Research

Yes, and it certainly winnows down numbers depending on whether it is GOLD or SILVER GILT as well.

From 1867 to the early weeks of 1913-- the last time for which published numbers exist--

the late Eric Ludvigsen counted

but that is ALL 1867-January 1913. MOST of those would have been GOLD.

the late Eric Ludvigsen counted

but that is ALL 1867-January 1913. MOST of those would have been GOLD.

There are some similar numbers by Sauerwald (Orden-Militaria-Magazin 96/2001)

1861-1918: 12.010

1867-1918: 11.723

But to describe the rarity of the order, these numbers are useless. We don?t know how many of them were given back to the Prussian General-Ordenskommission. In question of the 2nd class of the Prussian Crown Order there could be less recirculation, because it was a typical decoration for foreign diplomats, who often not gave them back. So we see this order often on the marked today (in gold).

If we want to know something about the rarity, we need the number of produced crosses. To get these by all the different makers will be impossible.

With regards, Komtur

For your enjoyment ;) :

Edited by Komtur

Guest Rick Research

Right you are! AWARDED does not equal MADE. :cheers:

And the "availability" depends indeed on how many were NOT returned and melted down for coins. :banger:

The ONE state in all of Imperial Germany whose records of awards made less returns is absolutely perfect is

Lippe-Detmold.

When that volume of Rolls is published later this year, there will be both howls of anguish and hysterical rejoicing-- depending on whether someone OWNS one of "XYZ" or not. :rolleyes:

The ONE state in all of Imperial Germany whose records of awards made less returns is absolutely perfect is

Lippe-Detmold.

When that volume of Rolls is published later this year, there will be both howls of anguish and hysterical rejoicing-- depending on whether someone OWNS one of "XYZ" or not. :rolleyes:

That will be very intersting for all the other states too. When we know the average percentage of returns of one state, we can estimate for the others. It will be a very rough estimation, but better then nothing :P

• 11 years later...