News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - Grand Duchy Tuscany Civil Merit Order

Hello every one

This silver breast star bears no maker's mark nor hallmark on its reverse. It looks very much like a French Legion of honor star.

The motto in italian "MERITO CIVILE 1853" points to an Italian state, possibly prior to the unification of the Kingdom under the House of Savoy. Tuscany ? I could find no reference to it either in Werlich, nor in the Trost or even in the Schultze. If it was founded in 1853, it will certainly have been short-lived.

Every bit of information will be gratefully received. Thank you

Veteran

Haynau

Thank you so much for this very fast reply. No, the reverse bears no hallmark or maker's mark of any kind. The star is well made, very much like the workmanship of the Legion of honor, but no doubt also up to the Austrian level of finish.

One wonders about a Tuscanian order awarded until 1918.... or was it that the previous ArchDuke was an Austrian prince who awarded it as a souvereign in exile ?. Has anything been published about it? Would you put it among the Austrian orders?. I find it a little bit hard to locate. I knew about a Tuscanian Military Merit Order but the Civilian Order does not seem to have been particularly documented.

I am happy you liked the Leopold Order I showed. My Austrian pieces are few and only bought when they really looked nice. For a very long time collectors in France, where I live, were very snotty about Austrian material which was not well understood and hardly collected at all. So pieces could be picked up at very attractive prices. Things seem to have changed to-day with the openinig of the market to international trading.

The collection of imperial awards at the Hoffburg is an incredible place to visit and beautifully displayed. I enjoyed going there a couple of years ago on the occasion of a professionnal meeting, which was held in the palace. A wonderful experience.

I am very grateful.

Veteran

Haynau

Thank you so much for this very fast reply. No, the reverse bears no hallmark or maker's mark of any kind. The star is well made, very much like the workmanship of the Legion of honor, but no doubt also up to the Austrian level of finish.

One wonders about a Tuscanian order awarded until 1918.... or was it that the previous ArchDuke was an Austrian prince who awarded it as a souvereign in exile ?. Has anything been published about it? Would you put it among the Austrian orders?. I find it a little bit hard to locate. I knew about a Tuscanian Military Merit Order but the Civilian Order does not seem to have been particularly documented.

I am happy you liked the Leopold Order I showed. My Austrian pieces are few and only bought when they really looked nice. For a very long time collectors in France, where I live, were very snotty about Austrian material which was not well understood and hardly collected at all. So pieces could be picked up at very attractive prices. Things seem to have changed to-day with the openinig of the market to international trading.

The collection of imperial awards at the Hoffburg is an incredible place to visit and beautifully displayed. I enjoyed going there a couple of years ago on the occasion of a professionnal meeting, which was held in the palace. A wonderful experience.

I am very grateful.

Veteran

The Grand Dukes of Tuscany were members of the Habsburg Lorraine family which were also the ruling house of Austria-Hungary. Maria Theresia married Francis I of Habsburg Lorraine who was also Grand Duke of Tuscany. The last ruling Grand Duke Ferdinand I died in 1908 and therefore were entitled as the head of a Royal House to bestow dynastic decorations. From his exile (in Austria) he bestowed the orders.

Hope this is of help.

Paul