News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers - (***MODERATORS' CHOICE)

Thats a one that I don't have, but I do have Canons "Historical Records of the Fifth Foot", which I believe was a reprint of the book illustrated. However my copy was previously owned by "N.I. Uxley 5th Fusiliers" and "Capt Harold A. Ryott, 6th Bn,N.F." and dated 15/7/1916, but as my scanner is currently kaput I can't provide illustrations.

Graham.

For those unaware the Great War had its own 'Home Guard' which began as ad hoc units which were brought together and known as the Volunteer Training Corps, who were primarily clothed in grey/green. Government recognition was slow in coming to these Corps and it wasn't until July 1916 that they got Government backing and were then known as the Volunteer Force and the VTC became the new Volunteer Regiments. Khaki uniforms were also allowed for the first time since the formation of the VTC. By 1918 the War Office began affiliation with county regiments and old pre-1908 Volunteer titles were adopted.

Alderman John Fitzgerald, Lord Mayor of Newcastle and Commandant Newcastle-upon-Tyne V.T.C.

Graham.

Edited by Graham Stewart

• 3 months later...
    • 1 month later...

A link to "As The Sun Goes Down" - Aden, The SAA & Armed Police Mutinies of June 1967, a thread just posted on the "Great Britain: Wars & Campaigns of the British Empire: A Military History" subforum:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29334

1st Battalion, The Royal Northumberland Fusilers were heavily involved in this event.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the badge that Alderman Fitzgerald is wearing. Newcastle VTC. The Photo is from Bosley's but as I bought it from them I'm sure they'll not mind me using it. It may also be what the 4th Bn Northumberland VTC are wearing if not the Royal Arms?

Edited by tynesideirish

TynsideIrish

Only Newcastle-upon-Tyne VTC wore the City Arms and the badges of those other individual Corps which were formed outside of the City remain a mystery apart from that worn by Whitley Bay and Monkseaton. It's generally thought they adopted local Borough badges to suite or wore the VTC Proficiency badge s a cap badge or in some cases perhaps nothing at all.

The Royal Arms capbadge was adopted by all units on the formation of the Volunteer Force in 1916 and VTC units were given the choice of join or disband. In July 1918 the VF began adopting the pre-1908 Volunteer titles for all units and as such were allowed to adopt regular pattern badges, but photo's do sometimes show a mixture of both.

• 3 weeks later...