The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers - (***MODERATORS' CHOICE)

My Grandfather was in the Northumberland Fusiliers in the Great War, but I dont know a lot about where he served. I have lots of letters and postcards from France from him to my Grandmother. 

Private Horatio Meldrum 22528

If anyone can tell me any more information on him. Got some good photo's of him in various uniforms.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 15/05/2020 at 16:44, captainofthe7th said:

I hope this uniform is a welcome addition to the topic though it is a bit more contemporary than most of what is posted.  This came from the estate of Allan Browne who appears to have been a collector and there were a few RNF uniforms coming from him, but this was the only one marked "Brown" by the tailor so it was my choice if I could only have one, which was the case.  I hope to learn more about him though I believe he was National Service so it may be a bit difficult.  I'm in touch with the RNF museum, but things are on hold at the moment due to the virus. 

I found the tiny pips to be of interest.  The cap and cap badge are added for display and I believe the badge may be for ORs, but I could not find a suitable officers' type and I think this will do for my needs.

brown_RFs_u00.png

RNF insignia.jpg

Very, very nice, as complete uniforms are a rarity. Looking at the medal ribbon, your Lieut appears to belong to a Territorial Army battalion, as it looks to be the Territorial Medal, rather than a campaign medal, but he should still appear in the R.N.F. section of the Army List for the what I would believe would be the post-World WarII period, but sadly Brown isn't an uncommon name.

When I have time I'll look through my regimental journals to see if he makes and appearance.

On 25/07/2020 at 20:07, Paulm said:

My Grandfather was in the Northumberland Fusiliers in the Great War, but I dont know a lot about where he served. I have lots of letters and postcards from France from him to my Grandmother. 

Private Horatio Meldrum 22528

If anyone can tell me any more information on him. Got some good photo's of him in various uniforms.

PaulM - so sorry for the late reply to this query. Anyway your great grandfather 22528 Pte Horatio Meldrum actually enlisted into the 13th(Service)Bn,Northumberland Fusiliers, which was formed in September 1914. As such he arrived in France on 7th October 1915 and hopefully his Medal Index Card may be attached courtesy of Ancestry.

The 13th Bn was part of the 62nd Brigade/21st Division and before moving to France was billeted in and around Halton Park, before moving to Aylesbury in November 1914. It moved back to Halton Park in May 1915 and then moved onto Witley in the August. They then went to France in the September of that year - your gt grandfather joining them a month later.

On the 10th August 1917 the 13th Bn amalgamated with the 12th(Service)Bn,N.F., and then it was known as the 12/13th Bn,N.F.. This Battalion was stationed at Berlaimont at the end of the War on 11th November 1918 and he was eventually transferred to the Class 'Z' Reserve on completion of his War service.

Further information can be accessed from the Battalion War Diaries.

H.Meldrum.thumb.jpg.6fea1aa5162c780ffeae8cfe2bb90245.jpg

Edited by Graham Stewart