News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Don't think we've had much discussion on clocks here yet, more on watches and other such timepieces.

The main maker of KM clocks was Kieninger & Obergfell who produced the more desirable brass cased bulkhead clocks. I did have one of the later types by Junghans which came with a black bakelite case and was reputedly removed from a Type XXI U-Boat at the end of the war, but sold that one a little while back and have only just picked up this nice K&O

• 3 weeks later...

Well Guy's here it is, my new clock, it is a beauty, the dial is perfect and it even has the original paint finish, it's now our resident kitchen clock.

Regards.

Col.

A real beauty Colin! It's not often you find them with the casing still sporting its black painted finish. Congratulations.

Unfortunately mine is missing its second hand, but Kieninger & Obergfell produced commercial clocks until well after the war under the trade name Kundo ( K and O) some of which used the same generic hands so hopefully I'll pick up the missing hand eventually. These things still keep amazingly accurate time.

They are eight-day movements and I find that for the first week, the time is bang on. Only on the last day when the spring is almost wound down, it might lose a minute or two. Good to have something that actually still serves a purpose, as well as being collectible and attractive.

Prices are beginning to go crazy on these K&O clocks !!

Yes, the casing should be black, but the circular frame for the glass cover was unpainted brass. Most clocks by now have had all the black paint rubbed off so it is unusual to see one like Colin's with all the paint finish in such good condition.

Hello!

Gordon

I thought all the Clocks were supposed to be black? :beer:

All the best

Nesrdep

• 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Hello Gent's.

i'm looking for info and threads about KM clocks, i've done a forum search without any success, can anyone point me in the right direction ?

many thanks.

Col.

Hi, your clock would have originally been painted black, it is missing the sweep seconds hand. The movements are 8 day and well made, however with a platform balance wheel escapement the pivots run in jewells and must be lubricated. So if you are going to use it as a time piece you must have it professionally overhauled. You can get a replacement seconds hands for these clocks and modify it to original.

Gordon,

Is this the type of clock you used to own? I bought this one from Colin Brown for ?85 approx 15 years ago. The diam is approx 70mm.

It used to be in good working order but the spring broke and the old guy that fixes my large KM clock (see photo) was unable to get parts so if someone knows where I could get it repaired, please pm me.

Yes, its a "Junghans".

Stan

And here's my Bulkhead Clock. I bought this one from Mark Jarrold in 2000 and it's the one shown in Angolia's book "Die Kriegsmarine". The spring has been repaired since I got it and this time the old guy who repaired it (he's 90!) had to get spares from Germany.

Stan

Gordon,

Is this the type of clock you used to own? I bought this one from Colin Brown for ?85 approx 15 years ago. The diam is approx 70mm.

It used to be in good working order but the spring broke and the old guy that fixes my large KM clock (see photo) was unable to get parts so if someone knows where I could get it repaired, please pm me.

Yes, its a "Junghans".

Stan

Take it to a profesional horologist, if its the barrel spring this should not be a problem.

Take it to a profesional horologist, if its the barrel spring this should not be a problem.

When you wind clocks always count the number of turns to full wind then when you rewind back off a couple.