News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - Venitian Academic award

Helle every one

I would greatly appreciate comments and information about this large (52mm-58grs) silver medal; unfortunately undated, it looks late XVIIIth Century.

On the obverse, under the feet of the Victory figure, the sculptor's signiture reads : A. SCHABEL. F. I would also love to know what the letters S.C. on the reverse stand for.

The latin legend on the reverse mentions an "Encouragement for the study of litterature given to Venitian youth".

I hope some of the learned members of this forum will be able to help with what is a proclaimed award, if not military I must say.

Thank you

Veteran

Helle every one

I would greatly appreciate comments and information about this large (52mm-58grs) silver medal; unfortunately undated, it looks late XVIIIth Century.

On the obverse, under the feet of the Victory figure, the sculptor's signiture reads : A. SCHABEL. F. I would also love to know what the letters S.C. on the reverse stand for.

The latin legend on the reverse mentions an "Encouragement for the study of litterature given to Venitian youth".

I hope some of the learned members of this forum will be able to help with what is a proclaimed award, if not military I must say.

Thank you

Veteran

It is the Venetian Senate's Student's Merit Medal for Literature. Following the disbandment of the Jesuits in 1773 there was a need to provide something to fill the educational gap they had left. The senate sent state teachers to continue the education. Under the Decree of the Senate 12 May 1781 allowed medals for the best pupils in their fields to be conferred anually. The engraver of the mint Anton Schaeffer was commissioned to make the medals. There were 4 grades of award large gold, large silver, small gold and small silver. The best student received the large gold, next best (your medal) large silver and so forth. The ceremony of conferring the medals took place iin August and was attended by the highest dignateries of the state.

Hope this information is of assistance.

Paul

It is the Venetian Senate's Student's Merit Medal for Literature. Following the disbandment of the Jesuits in 1773 there was a need to provide something to fill the educational gap they had left. The senate sent state teachers to continue the education. Under the Decree of the Senate 12 May 1781 allowed medals for the best pupils in their fields to be conferred anually. The engraver of the mint Anton Schaeffer was commissioned to make the medals. There were 4 grades of award large gold, large silver, small gold and small silver. The best student received the large gold, next best (your medal) large silver and so forth. The ceremony of conferring the medals took place iin August and was attended by the highest dignateries of the state.

Hope this information is of assistance.

Paul

PS. SC is "by the consent of the Senate"