News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 Clasp to 1870 EK

I have hundreds of variations of EK doc... there are plenty of print styles that are really "rare" but this one has to take the cake...

The clasp to the 1870/71 EK awarded in WW1.

There were no docs for these, there was an approval list and the unit made a confirmation doc for the awardee... so dont get thrown by the "Abschrift" on this,it is an "Abschrift" of text taken from a Kriegsministerium notice and should be seen as the mans "certificate" or preliminary award doc.

Niemans book mentions there were no award docs, just confirmation documents.

Notice how some lucky bastard picked this up for EUR15 at some stage..... Niemann has them (Albeit a much nicer one) at about EUR1000

post-119-019494500 1286553912_thumb.jpg

• Replies 146
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing Chris. I'm amazed at how many rare items are shared for knowledge on this forum.

Curious question for those that frequent other militaria forums as well... Is GMIC unique in showing these type rarities?

Thanks for sharing Chris. I'm amazed at how many rare items are shared for knowledge on this forum.

Curious question for those that frequent other militaria forums as well... Is GMIC unique in showing these type rarities?

Hi,

WAF has quite a bit, and there are forums with much WW2 stuff, but we do OK :-)

Our Imperial German is good and we cover many things others dont, but we are not alone in the universe ;-)

what a find!!!

did the seller know what he was selling?

I dont know... but he paid EUR15 and I was just over EUR350... so he be a happy boy....

An interesting thing to note, and I dont know the "PP" fits in, as "through the agency of" and latin is not my bag of fish.

So far on three documents I have seen it used when the document singles out someone who on the original document was one of a group of people.

i.e. Bauer seems to have been listed in general orders with a group of other men who get the award. This document issued with just his name and the PP above and below seems to signal that there were more above and below him.

Any Latin native speakers here ? ;-)

Any Latin native speakers here ? ;-)

Latinus sum. ;)

pp. means pretty much the same as etc., even that close that German wikipedia just claims for pp. you should look at etc. :unsure:

"pp. ist die Abkürzung für:

* lateinisch perge, perge für „fahre fort, fahre fort“ bzw. „und so fort“, meist in der Wendung etc. pp., siehe et cetera"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Et_cetera

Edited by saschaw

• 1 year later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Chris, have you read anything that explains the reason behind the regulation location for the EK1 being the lower left side. Always seemed an unusual location to me...

Any reason other than this was the traditional place for breast stars?

• 1 month later...

Chris, have you read anything that explains the reason behind the regulation location for the EK1 being the lower left side. Always seemed an unusual location to me...

Any reason other than this was the traditional place for breast stars?

It seems he has so many awards, has to struggle to fit them all on.... lots of loops on the jacket.

best

Chris

• 1 year later...
    • 2 years later...