News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello all,

I have this great photo of Samuel Morse wearing various orders. I have identified them all except the one around his neck.

This photo was taken around 1865 and at that time - according to my research - he had also received:

- W?rttemberg, Scientific Gold Medal

- Turkey, Decoration in diamonds of the Nishan Iftichar

- Austria, Gold Medal of Science

Could it be the W?rttemberg medal? I don't know if the gold medals above were table medals.

If it isn't one of these three, can anybody identify it?

Thanks in advance,

/Mike

• 2 years later...

Greetings,

My apologies if thread necromancy is frowned upon but I could not justify creating a new thread.

I am working on colorizing that picture of Morse and I can not identify one of the medals, the fourth medal from the left, between the Order of the Dannebrog and the Legion d'honneur. Wikipedia, that ever unreliable resource, claims it is the Great Gold Medal of Arts and Sciences from Württemberg. It also says that the Legion d'honneur is the Gold Medal of Science from Austria so I am dubious as to the reliability.

If anyone could tell me what this mystery medal is and provide me a link to a color picture of said medal I would be greatly appreciative.

Greetings,

My apologies if thread necromancy is frowned upon but I could not justify creating a new thread.

I am working on colorizing that picture of Morse and I can not identify one of the medals, the fourth medal from the left, between the Order of the Dannebrog and the Legion d'honneur. Wikipedia, that ever unreliable resource, claims it is the Great Gold Medal of Arts and Sciences from Württemberg. It also says that the Legion d'honneur is the Gold Medal of Science from Austria so I am dubious as to the reliability.

If anyone could tell me what this mystery medal is and provide me a link to a color picture of said medal I would be greatly appreciative.

I believe it is the Spanish Order of Isabella the Catholic. Cheers Captain Albert

post-8299-034721300 1294727044_thumb.jpg

post-8299-092637100 1294727173_thumb.jpg